cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Over the Air Antenna

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
What would cause the rear TV to get more channels then the front TV? We reprogrammed the front TV several times!
Thanks for all comments!
19 REPLIES 19

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
bukzin wrote:
Ah,a switcher !

The proper formal name is "Matrix Switch" But I just called it a BOMB (Box of many buttons) and it caught on. Sorry about that. BOMB is descriptive after all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am simply saying that because all of YOUR TV's get the same channels does not mean the only option is poor connections. Different TV's, different tuners, coax length, switcher(s) used, power supply, oh yeah, and connection can all cause 2 different TV's to get dissimilar numbers of of channels. I am sure I missed a couple but there are many reasons.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
All my TVโ€™s get the same stations, different brands. Iโ€™m guessing touโ€™ve Got a poor connection somewhere!

Your results have nothing to do with the results others experience. There are MANY reasons why one TV get more channels than another. Thanks for adding "I'm guessing" as a point of clarification.

So high resistance doesn`t create poor reception/lack of OTA channels? OK!
As you said there are various reasons why, I gave one of the most common issues with poor reception! Almost everyone here has mentioned poor connections.

But with all that said, swap TVโ€™s as has been mentioned and see if the problem follows the TV or not. If it does itโ€™s in the TV. If it stays in that area then itโ€™s a cable/connection/hardware issue.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
Ah,a switcher !
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukzin wrote:
What is 'bomb' ?

Box of Many Buttons. Used to switch TV inputs between Ant, Cable, Satellite, etc.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
What is 'bomb' ?
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I would really like to know a little more about what the OP has as far as the BOMB, splitters, antenna, and where things are located. I agree that the first and fastest thing to check are all of the connectors for tightness and that they are connected to the correct point.

Then, he should swap the cables for the two TVs. If the problem follows the cable. Problem solved, it is somewhere in the cable for the front TV.

That is pretty easy to trouble shoot. In most RVs all the external equipment is located in one spot and isolating each piece of equipment is in general very easy.

Without knowing about the attached equipment, how do you know where to start. What I have recommended would work for my rig, I have the Winegard Pro, a bomb and Sensar 4 antenna.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
If your set up gets a little tricky
(Or if you just wanna have a single remote) have a look at the Caavo box.

Controls all your gear (TV, Roku, Google chrome, Apple TV, sound bar, etc)
with one remote.
It will do a deep search on all you devices with your voice.

Lots of functions and super easy to use.

Around $80
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on running the same cable to each TV first.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Get a long test cable and connect it to your source, cable or over the air source.

Now connect directly to each tv one at a time and rescan. If you get different results and they are only a bit difference then as mentioned you just have more horse power with one tv receiver. If however you have a substantial difference then the weak one is probably do for an upgrade.

If anyone here decides to buy new televisions for the RV's be sure to find one with a built in OTAR receiver. I found my fancy new larger screen tv does not have one and I had to add another box. So that means a different remote of course and another INPUT change when switching to that box.

I didn't make the same mistake when I bought the new tv for the bedroom. It has the receiver built in and works great. It is amazing how many functions these new Visio televisions with 4K have.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
All my TVโ€™s get the same stations, different brands. Iโ€™m guessing touโ€™ve Got a poor connection somewhere!

Your results have nothing to do with the results others experience. There are MANY reasons why one TV get more channels than another. Thanks for adding "I'm guessing" as a point of clarification.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bruce_Brown
wildtoad wrote:
Are they the same brand and model TV? Some TVs have a better tuner than others and will need less signal strength to find them.

This is what we found.

Our MH came with, at the time, highly rated and high priced Viewsonic brand TVs. I installed a cheap Visio for the outside. The cheap Visio pulls in a lot more channels than the Viewsonics. Both of the Viewsonics get the same channels so I'm thinking it's all in the TVs.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many posibile causes. Some addressed above (bad cable connection generally the crinmp on sneeze off connectors. Fail to tighten a connector properly some idiot drove a staple THROUGH teh coax (yes it happens)(

Some TV's are just naturally better receivers.

And a host of other things Bad Splitter (The wall plate or the box of many buttons) is also on the list.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times