cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 501 in Virginia, Lynchburg to I-81

mustard
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone done US Hwy 501 from Lynchburg, VA to I-81? I have a 38'' Class A towing. Is it passable? Or is US 29 to US 60 a better route?
6 REPLIES 6

mustard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I'm traveling north so I'll take the 29 north route.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Concur with KD4UPL. North on I-81, take US-29 North to I-64 West, cross Afton Mountain, and then turn north on I-81.

Going south from Lynchburg, take US 460 West to US-220 Alternate which takes you over to I-81 South.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I traveled 501 with my truck camper. No problems but it kind of windy in places. Big rigs run it so of course it can be done. With a 38' MH I probalby wouldn't since there are better options. If going north on I81 I would take 29N to I64. If going south on I81 I would take 460 west.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on which direction you are going on 81. If I was going south, take 460 west to Blueridge and cut across to 81 there.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
501 is a two lane with a lot of log trucks working the area. Drove it Tuesday, with a car, no Construction, Big island area is a very steep and twisty stretch. Semi's travel it, but they are slooow.

drove 29 from Lynchburg to Charlottesville also, one patch of construction, but moved well.

Dont know if this will work but this should be a link to the section just east of Big Island.
501 east of big island

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
29 north to 64 is a sure route. I have gone 460 as well and it is good.