cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about changing from DirecTV to Dish

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Got an email from DirecTV telling me no more having a receiver in house and then in RV with Distant Network Service.
So wonder how if you have Dish make it work in an RV and if you like it. I have had DirecTV for 20 years.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com
38 REPLIES 38

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
I should have been a bit more specific in my comment about programming. The 120 Dish programming doesn't have some of the channels that we got on Direct, NFL, golf, WGN, to name a few. And with Direct we got Fox sports Midwest which covers KS, NE, IA. You know the flyover states which is where the bulk of the Big 12 is located. With Dish it is Big 10, Texas Longhorn, SEC, and Pac 12. Like I said, it is different and maybe it is just getting used to it.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
was_butnotnow wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
We were DTV customers for over 12 years. When setting up the RV for TV I was going to go with the manual dish and get an additional receiver for the RV since I didn't want to dig into my entertainment center and haul my home DVR out everything we went camping.
DTV wanted me to sign another two year a agreement to setup another receiver. I though WTfudge. I said " See ya" to DTV and signed up with Dish.
That was over about 5 years ago or so. Been happy ever since. I have a X2 and a VIP211 with a portable hard drive to record, stop and rewind on plus a nice HD picture. I get basically the same programming as at home.
It's $7 a month and you can stop and start when ever for $0. I do all the startups with my Dish phone app. Dish is really RV friendly and never argues when I need some RV Dish assistance. Are they perfect? No but for RV'ing they have a pretty good setup.

But as I understand it you can only view and not record another channel at eh same time.

True. I suppose if I were doing extended stays or full timing and watched TV like we do at home I'd want something different. For the most part our TV watching is limited to what ever's on at the time if we're bored. Or football.

You CAN watch DVR recorded shows while recording another.

Iโ€™m not sure what programs arenโ€™t available on DISH. I can get SEC channel and all the car shows I can stand.

Yes you can do that. Haven't needed to yet though.
Two main reasons we switched were the ability to get HD with a self aligning dish and the Pac12 network. Being able to start and stop without using a phone app also makes it easy.
Each have their +/-'s.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
was_butnotnow wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
We were DTV customers for over 12 years. When setting up the RV for TV I was going to go with the manual dish and get an additional receiver for the RV since I didn't want to dig into my entertainment center and haul my home DVR out everything we went camping.
DTV wanted me to sign another two year a agreement to setup another receiver. I though WTfudge. I said " See ya" to DTV and signed up with Dish.
That was over about 5 years ago or so. Been happy ever since. I have a X2 and a VIP211 with a portable hard drive to record, stop and rewind on plus a nice HD picture. I get basically the same programming as at home.
It's $7 a month and you can stop and start when ever for $0. I do all the startups with my Dish phone app. Dish is really RV friendly and never argues when I need some RV Dish assistance. Are they perfect? No but for RV'ing they have a pretty good setup.

But as I understand it you can only view and not record another channel at eh same time.

True. I suppose if I were doing extended stays or full timing and watched TV like we do at home I'd want something different. For the most part our TV watching is limited to what ever's on at the time if we're bored. Or football.

You CAN watch DVR recorded shows while recording another.

Iโ€™m not sure what programs arenโ€™t available on DISH. I can get SEC channel and all the car shows I can stand.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
i donโ€™t understand. what programming did DTV have that DISH does not?

x2. Only difference would be how DTV or Dish bundle programs. Programs are programs with a few exceptions.
DTV does offer the NFL package and Dish carries the Pac12 network and I'm sure there may be a few other situations like that, but for the most part they both carry the same 10 most watched channels. Or 5 ๐Ÿ™‚

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
was_butnotnow wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i donโ€™t understand. what programming did DTV have that DISH does not?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
After 30 years with Direct, we switched to Dish this month. We had been getting the notices for quite some time about them dropping SD programming so we knew we would have to change soon. But when we got home from Texas (5 month there) we called to shut off our receiver in Texas, turn on our receiver in Kansas and change local channels back to KS. We have been doing that since 2008 so it wasn's something new.
The tech said no can do, you have to have a second account. I said let me talk to a manager; same response. They couldn't believe we had been doing that since 2008. Told them to just drop the TX receiver and turn on KS. Turned on the KS receiver and we got local channels but were told we had to switch to HD in the next two weeks. OK, ordered the switch over to HD but they couldn't get out for 2 1/2 weeks. The tech assured us we would have local channels through the switch over. Next morning, no local channels. Called them again and were told they couldn't give us local channels since we didn't have HD. Now all this was about 6 hours on the phone.
I called Dish and they were there the next day. Also we could have the receiver in TX and in RV on a pay as you use it deal. And Dish is cheaper than what we were paying Direct. When I called Direct to cancel, I was told we actually had until August until we had to make the switch. Make up your dang mind.
Now all that being said, I do not like Dish programming. If it wasn't for the infomercial channels, music and old shows, there isn't much there. I am trying to keep an open mind and tell myself I just have to get used to it. We shall see.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
depends on your equipment. we have the DISH ViP722k receiver/DVR. we can record 2 pgms and watch a recorded pgm or watch 1 live and record another. our DVR can hold hundreds of hours of programming. my understanding is with the Hopper 3 and proper antenna adapter you can record up to 16-pgms at once.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
Merrykalia wrote:
Dropped Direct last year, got DISH. We have a receiver in our RV and it costs us $7/month. We use it from May until November, then turn if off. It has worked fine for us for last year and we just turned it on last week (we started camping a little earlier than normal).

Is this a stand alone account, or an add-on to another account?

Yes, this is an add-on to our home account.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Oh, no! Forced to watch HD? That's a problem?.
lol
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
Never have a problem with DirecTv changing my locals back and forth. Just have them change the zip code to our winter home then back again to our summer home.
They always require an exact street address from me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
pennysmom09 wrote:
FlatBroke wrote:
Never have a problem with DirecTv changing my locals back and forth. Heck they donโ€™t even know I have an RV. Just have them change the zip code to our winter home then back again to our summer home. It only takes minutes if you call the number for movers. Why would they care? Just donโ€™t expect to have local channels at both locations at the same time.

This! Just donโ€™t even say you have an RV. Summer home and winter home worked fine for us. They switched back and forth, no problem. However, we recently gave up Directtv altogether. Too costly, cable at home and Cable at our winter rv resort at no additional cost.
DTV is well aware that I have a RV and move our receiver between home and the RV. This has been a non issue.

They have records of every service address we've used. When driving to a prior service address all the information is available to make a faster change.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Randu wrote:
Dropped DIRECT in December after 23 years. Went down hill the minute AT&T purchased them. Customer service terrible,big rate increases every year, and they are slowly dropping satellites. I read a article that stated AT&T's vision was that all TV would be streaming within 5 years so satellites will not be needed. All standard definition will be gone mid year and everyone will be forced to HD. When I asked about upgrading the RV the answer was that they don't do installs on a RV. Could not get the equipment without a install that they won't do and I repeatedly stated that I don't need a install. They would not send equipment. 23 years of being loyal customer and setting up my own dish every time I have camped in the past didn't count. Very few people remember that back in 1995/96 when system first came out that they were all self installed with a kit. So far been really happy with COMCAST at home and just plain over the air antenna when camping. Will talk to DISH if I decide I need it when camping. Randu

DirecTV has not dropped a single satellite other than 110 and 119 which have not had main stream programming in over 10 years.
Oh, no! Forced to watch HD? That's a problem? Maybe you are just upset because you were using an antenna not built by DISH or DirecTV and not supported by DISH or DirecTV (every dome antenna ever made).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?