cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Wife Says We Are Keeping Our '89

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Our HR is now 30 years old and we decided to start looking for something newer with a slide and a basement. We started looking at the early 2000's. Our '89 HR has sleeping for 6, seating for 10, It can seat 6 people for a meal at 2 different tables. It has a 4-burner stove, oven and space for an extra refrigerator for drinks.

We couldn't find anything with the basic amenities of what we have. The coaches we found look like they are for empty-nesters who don't like to cook and don't expect to go camping with their children and grandchildren. Am I right? Do we need to look newer? My wife says she hasn't found a single coach yet with what is important to her and we are keeping our '89!
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO
19 REPLIES 19

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to the wife. Happy wife Happy life.

Son of Norway wrote:
Our HR is now 30 years old and we decided to start looking for something newer with a slide and a basement. We started looking at the early 2000's. Our '89 HR has sleeping for 6, seating for 10, It can seat 6 people for a meal at 2 different tables. It has a 4-burner stove, oven and space for an extra refrigerator for drinks.

We couldn't find anything with the basic amenities of what we have. The coaches we found look like they are for empty-nesters who don't like to cook and don't expect to go camping with their children and grandchildren. Am I right? Do we need to look newer? My wife says she hasn't found a single coach yet with what is important to her and we are keeping our '89!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
The real question is how many miles you put on a year and how far from your home base you venture. If a lot, 30 yeas is pushing your luck.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 1999 with one slide and are very happy with it. My bride likes the floor plan and the unit is still in very good shape. I think our time to travel is coming to an end since we are up in age but we have really enjoyed our trips. I would applaud Son of Norway as he keeps his couch that his wife likes so well. New is not always better and going into debt is not always the best move. Good travels to you all. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Really like our '96, so I understand!
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I travel through life I say more and more "as long as it works, nothing wrong with old"

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it until you find one you like.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
If it ain't broke, why try and fix it? ๐Ÿ˜‰
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2005 Georgie boy landau with the for 310 engine. We travel with 2 fur baby dogs and one fur baby cat. RV Was 35 feet with 2 slides in the bedroom and 1 slide in the living area. One day she says I want something bigger and with 4 slides. After looking for over a year, this 2008 Mandalay just over 41 feet with 4 slides and a cummins 400 with a jake brake popped up out of no where. I looked at the pictures and called her back to look at it. She said that is the one. We bought it in 2013. Have never looked back. She said this is the final one. Have enjoyed it every day we are camping in it.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with your wife. Keep it.

If you gave me a brand new motorhome I'd sell it and keep my 2004. It works fine and does what we want. And no fancy electronic junk to go bad that no one knows how to fix.

Old saying "It's better to keep the devil you know than one you don't."
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
throw a couple bucks at the old one most likely built better than you can buy new.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
When I look outside at our '96 Vogue, I always think how nice a slide would be BUT then it hits me....the MH still looks great, it certainly is built a lot better than most anything nowadays, it still runs good(knock on wood) and besides, I'm always tinkering with it. If I had something NEW, I'd be like the everyone else....."OH No, I can't drill into it" โ€ฆ.you know what I mean.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
If your coach is in good shape and doesn't require a lot of money to keep it that way, it sounds like she just saved you a bunch of money. SHE has spoken..;)

X2. You have a classic HR. Assuming there are no major problems, I would keep it.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am dealing with this right now. Our old DP is sitting in front of the garage and our newer one is in the driveway. A few things missing--outside refrigerator/freezer, slide out trays, entertainment center, (both outside and in the bedroom) door bell, power step cover, desk w/recliner, slide out waste basket under counter, slide out pantry, wood & tile floors, this list just goes on and on. Kind of hate to let her go.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Fleetwood Storms and Terras. They made bunk bed models where the lower bunk could convert to a small dinette and back to bunk at night. They also had a drop bed over the drivers and passengers seats.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad