cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Researching Vortec Triton V10 8.1L on a 22-Series Workhorse

skes
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at smaller used class A motorhomes with the intention of using it a month or so in the Fall and Spring. I found what looks like a nice 2002 Winnebago with 75K miles. It is a bit older than what I was originally looking for. So, my question is what type of advancements (engine/chassis) would I find between a 2002 and like a 2007 in the Vortec Triton V10 8.1L engine on the 22-Series Workhorse? Thanks in advance for insights and experience.
12 REPLIES 12

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
skes wrote:
Sorry guys, not a troll just a newbie to motorhomes. I should have realized that the seller listing, as someone said, jumbled up engines and the chassis. Thanks for the clarification.

Probably. And just so you we weren’t getting on you. Just making assumptions about someone we don’t know anything about LOL. It does sound like the ad you were reading was a scam and though! As anyone who has one chassis or the other would know what they have!

Agreed, and welcome to the forum.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
skes wrote:
Sorry guys, not a troll just a newbie to motorhomes. I should have realized that the seller listing, as someone said, jumbled up engines and the chassis. Thanks for the clarification.

Probably. And just so you we weren’t getting on you. Just making assumptions about someone we don’t know anything about LOL. It does sound like the ad you were reading was a scam and though! As anyone who has one chassis or the other would know what they have!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

skes
Explorer
Explorer

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Why do I have the feeling this is a trolling post?

It reads like a scam ad on Craigslist!

Or they did way too much research and got all the info jumbled together! I can see that happening!

Seems the chassis engine combos are mixed up on purpose. I feel like only someone who knows them could do that. Add to that the OP is brand new and hasn't returned to the post. I vote Troll. But I've been wrong before.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

It reads like a scam ad on Craigslist!

Or they did way too much research and got all the info jumbled together! I can see that happening!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
vjstangelo wrote:
We own a 2011 Ford F53. I can go down to my nearest Ford dealer and order parts for the motor and chassis as they still make the F53 and nothing really changes year to year. I’m not sure Chevy will sell parts for Workhorse a 2003 nor will what’s left of Workhorse corp today. Just something to consider.

There are some parts on my 2001 P32 chassis that are no longer available.
Front spindles being one of them.

But anything else I have needed thus far is still available.
Or there is a compatible part made by other manufacturers.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2011 Ford F53. I can go down to my nearest Ford dealer and order parts for the motor and chassis as they still make the F53 and nothing really changes year to year. I’m not sure Chevy will sell parts for Workhorse a 2003 nor will what’s left of Workhorse corp today. Just something to consider.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree Workhorse was originally GM so they use the Vortec V8 coupled to an Allison Transmission... When Chevy stopped making the 8.1L Vortec. WOrkhorse basically folded because they had no alternative engine.

Now. Ford Triton of Chevy V8
Ford's are higher RPM engines.. IS THIS a problem I do not now. on paper the HP and Torque specs are so close as to say "SAME". But the CHEVY hits peak torque at lower RPM.. I rather like that (I drive one).

But Id' say the Ford/CHevy engine question is basically a coin toss. Take you pick..

THis brings us to the Transmission.. NOW.. ALLISON.. Top rated. Many feel the ALLISON transmission is King of Transmissions. the best. none better and guess who is on the list of folks who feel that way.... FORD MOTOR COMPANY.

THey billed there latest Tranny offering as "The answer to the allison".
NO. it's not

YOu would be amazed at the testing Allison does (Used to attend church with a former Allison Engineer)..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There were big HP and transmission improvements from 2002 to 2007 in the Ford V-10. The early models started out at 275 HP and by 2007 had 362 HP and another speed in the transmission. Like bud stated they are two different engines and chassis. Adds frequently mix them up. Find out from seller which chassis it is.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe that the Workhorse W chassis first came out in 2003. The 2001-2002 models were on the P chassis and had the GM 8100 Vortec 8.1L engine with the GM transmission The 2003 and newer W chassis models had the 8.1L engines with the Allison transmissions.
Some manufacturers, like Winnebago and Monaco, offered the identical floor plans on either a Workhorse OR Ford chassis. Only the Ford chassis models had the Triton V-10 engine. All Workhorse models had the 8.1L GM V-8 engines.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Workorse would have A GM 8.1 V-8! Not a Ford Triton V-10!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker