cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Sequence

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Lost my instructions. Did they say to connect the panel or the battery to the controller first? Does it really matter?

100 watt panel, generic 20 amp controller, and single group 27 battery.
4 REPLIES 4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
connect the battery first.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
Lost my instructions. Did they say to connect the panel or the battery to the controller first? Does it really matter?

100 watt panel, generic 20 amp controller, and single group 27 battery.

It matters with some, not with all, but hard to know which applies so play it safe IMO.

Have a switch of some sort between array and controller so you can do it. Controller on battery first then connect array. Disconnect array first before disconnecting controller from battery.

Some controller manuals warn against having a load connected to the load terminals with no battery on the controller. Not clear on that where the controller is one of those especially for night lights. Not(usually?)an RV problem though.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I think it is easiest to remember, never connect panels when there isn't a battery connected. That should cover connecting and disconnecting procedures.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Connect the controller to the battery before connecting the panels.