Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Bye Bye DuraMax
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bye Bye DuraMax

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/19 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time to replace our 06 LBZ. Powertrain has been awesome, love driving the diesel but it looks like I am going back to gasser on the new truck. While the drivetrain is awesome, too many New England winters are taking their toll the undercarriage.
Have driven both the 19 DuraMax and 6.0 duallys and just can’t get myself to lay down an extra $10k when the gasser is such a sweet ride also. The added complexity, DEF, and initial cost are intimidating. The 06 only has 123k miles on it, so we are doing <10k miles/year. Truth is I don’t need the diesel, but it sure is a hoot to tow and haul with. I will miss the diesel the few times/year I am towing behind the TC, but the majority of our trips are TC only.

So my question to those that have gone from a Duramax back to a 6.0, what are your thoughts/experience? The added payload is a positive!

Thx, Bill

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Chevrolet 2500 with 6.0 3.73 4x4 shortbed crew cab. A couple of times I got just over 15, but normal was in the 14s empty and usually between 9-11 towing. I was able to tow a 4000 lb boat at 60-65 even up minor hills.

I’m curious though, why Chevrolet, why 6.0, and did you know that Ford is coming out with a 7.3?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/19 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next year Ford introduces their new V8 with a heavy duty 10 speed auto. Might be worth waiting for....

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad I don't live in the salt belt, the powertrain outlives the truck.[emoticon] I would have a hard time going back to gas, my faithful 05 Ram ctd has served me well although it is starting to show it's age.

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/19 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill, I am very happy with my 6.0 dually. I wouldn’t change a thing, bulletproof.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

Next year Ford introduces their new V8 with a heavy duty 10 speed auto. Might be worth waiting for....

My BIL was the head designer for Ford's new 10 speed box. They really put it through the wringer. he told me they purposely destroyed them to make them better. Find the weak points and improve.

Love to have one. cannot afford one. Not into being indentured to a vehicle. Maybe a farm tractor that makes me money but not a vehicle.

besides, when I bought my 1997 F350 7.3 4x4 crew cab new in 97, my BIL 'borrowed' it for a month. At that time he was at Ford SVO in Dearborn. Lets just say when I got it back, it had 5,000 extra miles on it and looking underneath or opening the hood, the parts sure didn't look FoMoCo. been that way ever since. Runs like a top. Goes like hell too.

He did my wife's V8 ranger as well. Only Ranger I ever drove that would lay rubber on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive. She still has it too.

When I asked him what he did, he'd say 'don't worry about it, just maintain it and I do, on both.

Knowing how meticulous he is, I'd get the 10 speed and not bat an eye.

Nice to have family in the auto business.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/19 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plan was to buy a new truck after this season. While doing pre-season inspection 2 weeks ago, discovered corrosion issues and just can’t see spending $$$ on a 13 yr. old truck that I was planning to replace ~ 1 yr. So, unless I want to miss this season, I need t buy a truck now.

So...I started research. I had an open mind that I would look at all 3 brands if I was going to spend this much money on a new truck. Well Ford and Ram have recently launched new HD Platforms, GM’s new trucks don’t hit the street till later this year.
Because of that, I am finding some very aggressive prices on existing inventory GM trucks while Ford and Ram are + $10 for comparable (but new) platform.
Used to be Dodge was always - $10k compared to GM and Ford.

I don’t really care about latest and greatest at this point in my life; todays bargain was all the rage a few years back.
All of these trucks will get the job done. So yes, price, at this point in my life, is important as I hope to retire soon.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/19 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

Bill, I am very happy with my 6.0 dually. I wouldn’t change a thing, bulletproof.

Thanks geo. Agree, I have full confidence in the 6.0. A proven platform.

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the chevy 6.0 in my signature and usually have my TC and boat in tow. Plenty of power for what I do. It is not the same as my mighty 2011 Duramax, but does a fine job and I do not regret the switch. Its just simpler. JMHO

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 12:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, nothing against 6.0 GM owners, but if I don't need the suspension, I'd almost rather pull a big trailer with my 5.3 1/2 ton. The 6.0s are tough as nails but about 10 years behind the times in power, maybe 20 since the 8.1 got tossed, but if I'm going to drop $40-50k on a new truck, I'd prioritize power and efficiency.

On one hand if I had a low mile rusted out LBZ, and the time to do it, I'd consider searching for another 06-07 Dmax with a blown engine or trans and transplant.
But you may still get decent $ for your truck if it's clean and great shape and the rust is just in the sheet metal.
Either way, going for a new truck, you said it yourself. Yesterday's best in class is today's bargain.
You could get a low mile few year old Dmax for the price of a new gasser, maybe a bit less and have your cake and eat it too.

* This post was edited 04/22/19 12:24am by Grit dog *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bye Bye DuraMax
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.