Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Bye Bye DuraMax
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bye Bye DuraMax

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
stew47

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

stew47 wrote:

I don’t have the 6.0. I have a Ford 6.2. Tow a 9000 lb fifth wheel. Would’ve love d a diesel but so much money and drama. Towed about 5000 miles and don’t regret the choice. I’m sure the 6.0 gas will serve you well.

Were you running a diesel previously?

I haven’t had a diesel. My experience the them is at work. Ambulances, diesel pick ups, fire trucks. I used to do maintenance on them and Arrange repairs. So much down time, high cost of repairs, turbo issues, fuel issues, computer issues. The good thing is the power of course but in my case the expense wasn’t worth the benefit.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How are the newer Ford aluminum superduty's holding up to the salt?

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no doubt the duramax diesels are great power houses. The reason I traded my 2011 for a 2017 is it only cost me 6k for the new truck when I traded. To me that was well worth it. Two years later I have 7k miles on the new truck. I didn't mind at all getting the 6.0 as I wanted something simple that worked and worked well. For my TC and boat it is a fine choice at low cost. My two duramax trucks which I truly loved for towing and hauling had both been in the shop several times for def and dpf filter problems. I previously had a 2008 before the 2011. The 2011 actually had me in limp mode a couple times. The def is not a big deal and I love the wonderfully clean exhaust but I do like not having to deal with that anymore.
The final straw for me was when my mechanic who had a 2011 duramax had his high pressure fuel pump fail and he of course replaced it. He said if I was going to keep mine I should replace the fuel pump for about 4k or risk a 10 to 12k repair if or as he said when it goes.

I should also mention I had a 2005 ford 6.0 powerstroke. It blew its head gaskets at 40k. So when the other fella mentions drama these are the types of issues I think of with diesels. All three diesels where bought new and all had problems with very low miles. I have probably had 10 new gasser trucks and they were all virtually trouble free.

All that being said if I was going to haul anything big big like over 12k and a lot of miles I would be trading for a diesel tomorrow. JMHO

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.... on another note if you live in the West and typically have to go up & down hills & mountains the diesel power going up & exhaust brake going down is something a buyer should consider...I gotta go over 9K’ in my neighborhood.....A little flatter East of the Rockies where a gasser might be a better deal...

hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Next year Ford introduces their new V8 with a heavy duty 10 speed auto. Might be worth waiting for.
Buying a brand new model is not, in my opinion, a good idea. I like to give a manufacturer time to work out the bugs.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a 2002 Chevy with the 6.0, and 228,000 miles. It has been a great truck, The only time it broke down was a fuel pump at 195k miles. I've had to replace waterpumps and radiators, but nothing major.

It still runs great, and just pulled out 8000lb TT 1500 miles, it does like to spin, pulling the camper from ATL to the Keys is basically flat, but it won't hold 4th gear, so you drop it to 3rd, and spin 3k rpms at 68mph. I'm looking forward to the new Chevy 6.6 gasser to see how it does.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had forgotten how bad the NE salted winters were. The salty ocean moisture 'prolly don't help either.... and I thought our Colorado mag-chloride winters were bad, geesch,

I think opting for a gasser is not a bad idea. Even with the mountain terrain out here, I think I could deal with a gasser. As time goes by I am not in as much of a hurry. But hauling donkey up the passes while passing others with 2 tons in the bed gives one the "diesel below- the-belt" appendage excitement...LOL.

SugarHillCTD

Sugar Hill, NH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 04:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Bill- haven't had our TC for a year now. Cathy wanted a real bathroom and a bed that she didn't have to climb into. Yeah we now pull a 5th wheel.

But I know what you are talking about with RUST! New Hampshire in particular lays down so much winter salt that I think they are subsidized by the automakers.

I know you use your truck and TC for skiing but several years ago I started parking my truck for the winter. Doesn't see any winter salt. Very little rust with just over 60K miles in 7 years.

I do like my '12 Chevy 4x4 crew 6.0L. Sucks gas (towing- 8+/- mpg) but 6qt oil changes and no DEF. Pulls our 5th wheel easily (8000# loaded).

Good luck with your decision. John

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frank/John, great to hear from you Guys.

Appreciate your input and will make decision soon.

Gas is looking better for my use (and wallet).

Thx, Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We changed to gas when the ULSD fuel came out and got REAL expensive. I may not be able to climb a hill as fast as a diesel, but I never regreted the change and will stay gas.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bye Bye DuraMax
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.