cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dodge v6

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
My son has a 2015 Dodge 1/2 ton 4wd with v6 gas tow package and 7500 capacity. What is the heaviest travel trailer he should be looking for?
7 REPLIES 7

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
30 lb propane cylinders weigh 55 lbs each counting the tank when full. 20 lb propane cylinders weigh about 38 lb each when full. Batteries could weigh 60 to over a hundred pounds each. Each 10 gallons of water in the freshwater tank is about 83.4 lb. 40 gallons of freshwater is 335 lbs. Don't forget to include those in the gross vehicle weight of the trailer. If waiting until getting home before dumping the black tank, keep in mind the shifting of water from the fresh water tank to the black water tank could create issues with the tongue weight. I normally have a lighter tongue on the way home and have to compensate by moving stuff in the trailer to the front of the trailer.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Good explanation!

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
blknomad wrote:
My son has a 2015 Dodge 1/2 ton 4wd with v6 gas tow package and 7500 capacity. What is the heaviest travel trailer he should be looking for?

First thing to determine towing capacity is to look at the payload sticker. That determines how much the truck can carry. Next is to take the truck and everything that will be in the truck when towing, and a full tank of gas, to a CAT scale.

There is a white tag on the drivers door or B pillar with GVWR. Subtract from that the gross from the scale ticket. That is your available payload. Subtract 100 pounds. Now divide the balance by 13%. That is the capacity of the trailer that can be towed.

Tongue weight is 10-15%, for a travel trailer it should be around 13% for good handling. 10% on one makes for a squirrely drive, so I use 13% for the baseline.

Keep in mind that a weight distribution hitch can weigh up to 100 pounds and that takes away from payload, which is why I say to subtract 100 pounds.

So lets say you have 900 pounds of payload left, subtract the hitch and divided the 800 by .13. That will tell you that the GVWR of the trailer should be no more than 6154 pounds.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
oops!

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
...Cargo cap, Rams can run low but if for example he gets a trailer with a 6500 GVWR, allow 15% of that to be tongue weight, or just under 1000lbs...
Geez - my 7800 lbs trailer doesn't even have 1,000 lbs of tongue weight.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just too many variables to give good answer, but here are a couple of thoughts.

How heavy will the truck be, with full fuel, all passengers, gear, ready to camp? If you know this number, you can look in owners manual, for the GCVWR, to see what is left for trailer.

A tow rating of 7,500, likely is not figuring a high walled TT, the reason most manuals mention frontal sq ft of trailer limitations.

Another thought when trailer shopping...no way to know what the LOADED trailer will actually weigh. You can use the full GVWR sticker on trailer, or some use trailer empty wt, and guess what will be added (1K-1.5K).

In any case, you will not want to tow a 7,500 lb TT with that truck.

Jerry

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
You'll likely get a range of answers, but the two things to watch are,,

Tow capacity, You said 7500, so loaded weight 10% under that would be my suggestion. say 6500 to 6750.

Cargo cap, Rams can run low but if for example he gets a trailer with a 6500 GVWR, allow 15% of that to be tongue weight, or just under 1000lbs.

Then he needs to consider what else he wants to load in the truck, if for example he wants a dirt bike and portable genny, they along with the tongue weight will add up quick.

Happy motorin