Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Downsizing to smaller rig, battery capacity
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Downsizing to smaller rig, battery capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one I'm looking at holds two standard size 12 volt batteries. I have to run a CPAP @ 3.75 amps and an oxygen concentrator @ 7.9 amps for about 8 hours. I don't know if two standard size batteries could handle this and hoping someone could help me out. Thanks so much, DJ

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, twin Trojan T 145s, 400 watts solar.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have no idea what you mean by "standard size batteries". Deep cycle 12 volt batteries are Group 24, Group 27, Group 31, sometimes also a Group 29. The greater the Group number the larger the battery is but also the greater is it's capacity. Since a CPAP draws quite a bit of power, especially if you need it's humidifier running also, I'd go with the larger Group 31 if there's sufficient space to mount them. Otherwise you might want to switch to a pair of 6 volt GC-2 batteries which in series will offer about the same capacity as a pair of Group 31 12 volt batteries wired in parallel, and although taller will have a much smaller footprint, about the same as a Group 24 12 volt battery.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are those amps at 12V-DC?

I'm guess yes. If they are 120v-AC, not a chance.

Assuming 8hr use between charges...that's around 96amp-hr...assuming nothing else is drawing a couple golf cart batteries should do the trick but that assumes you have a means to completely recharge the next day.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at your old setup, a pair of GC=2 and solar, how did that do?
If you were not drawing that down to less than 60% of a full charge, then cutting it in half is about your minimum.

Two GC-2 batteries with 210-230 amps will allow for the needed 64 amp hrs for the O2 concentrator and the 32 amphrs for the CPAP but you will need to top off daily, not getting back over 90% with that will leave you lacking after only a day or two.

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you add in what the rig is using for the fridge etc you will most likely be pulling 13 amps. Mulitply that by say 10 hours equals 130 AH down. You need more like three group 27 or four GC2 6 volts. You also need to consider your draw between no sun and bedtime if on solar.

If topping off 100% on generator at bedtime then go back to about 130 ah draw down. As mentioned, if you are drawing them down far it takes a considerable amount of time to completely charge so you go into the next night full. If not they will start dropping more and more.

As you do this check the specific gravity at times to be sure you aren't walking them down by not fully charging.

You don't need to dip them constantly, you just need to dip enough to be sure your energy management program is working.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The QUACKS had me on an O2 concentrator that sucked 520 watts at 1.2 liters. Is a 12 volt concentrator -The New Miracle-? Flapping and whirring through the night?

I just cannot imagine a 12 volt concentrator. Would be like a 12 volt microwave.

The humidifier uses four times the power of the CPAP blower. So that's a factor.

Methinks you are on the wrong trail. Two 24's will allow around 85 amp hours total With standard gizmos online after dark you will be taxing group24 batteries to the max. I suspect the O2 unit is 120vac. A pipe dream.

Might want to start thinking about a 1500 watt generator that can run 8 hours.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two for the house?
Or one each for two total?
If only one house battery, then no way, even with two for the house going to 50% discharge every night is going to be hard on them , still need a full total recharge, each day

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Blackdiamond

So. Cal

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run 2 CPAPs with the built in humidifiers off of 2 6V batteries and will run the heat as needed, generally it doesn't get below 40 here most times.

03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blackdiamond wrote:

I run 2 CPAPs with the built in humidifiers off of 2 6V batteries and will run the heat as needed, generally it doesn't get below 40 here most times.

Are you counting AH down? What's your morning voltage? How are you recharging. Two 6's would hold up better than two group.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Looking at your old setup, a pair of GC=2 and solar, how did that do?

Stick with your 2 GC2 batteries !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Downsizing to smaller rig, battery capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.