Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: E350 vs E450 chassis pros and cons for a short 24 ft class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> E350 vs E450 chassis pros and cons for a short 24 ft class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Quote:

Hmmm .... are you sagging in the rear a bit?

No Phil, I sit level.
What I did was make sure the rv was level using the 'autolevel' feature on my jacks. Once it was level I installed two small levels inside the cab so I can view them from the drivers seat . When I retracted the 'autolevel' system the rig sat level.
When I park at a campsite or overnight lot I can get level most of time without doing anything more that maneuvering the rig around a little.

Reason for bags in the near future:
The rear of the Sunseeker only has a slight upward sloped rear.
I scrape the rear triangle guards that protect the receiver etc.
I scrape them on my driveway when I back in and clear by 1/4" if I pull in forward. I also scape at a dump station I normally use as well as a few campsites hear and there.
I'm tired of my DW asking me 'what's the awful scraping sound"?
I either have to get some bags or leave her home. [emoticon]
I figure a set of bags with an on board compressor will help a bit.
I'm judging by how much they raised my truck campers that I previously owned...2" or so , up and down. I'm hoping the bags will offer me about the same up/down distance in this 24' C .

Problem I am having is making sure I order the correct bag set due to the Supersteer rear track bar that I have in place.
SS has been very helpful and it appears that both Firestone bags that sit on top of the spring as well as Air-lift's will fit as long as all bolts are installed in the correct way, so the threaded side (longer side) of the bolt doesn't interfere with the track bar or the AB mounts.
I plan to run a hard wired set of bags not a wireless. Not much of track record yet plus in my experience those inexpensive digital interface setups are not very reliable. I need this to work when I need this to work.

Bob
Hi Bob, I notice from your profile you have hydraulic jacks, is that common for newer class C's?

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 12:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it depends on the brand you choose.
When I was shopping for my unit I really didn't pay attention to that. Its not an option that I would order. If it had them I would take them rather than place a new order.
I need to carry wood blocks to go under each jack foot, might as well just use them to level it under the tires as needed. That's what did in the past and find it easy enough.

I hardly ever use the jacks. My mechanic uses them when he is working on my rig in his parking lot . He finds it easier to do that than bring it inside and use a lift.

im up early, heading out fishing...wish me luck .

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 01:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I assume that air bags hold their air perfectly so that if I use them for leveling at campsites ... their lifting height would stay fixed at what I set it at when staying at any given campsite day after day.

The bags will hold the air pressure unless a line connection is not set correctly. Test them with a soapy solution and a spray bottle as you would test a tire. Mine would lose a little pressure over time when parked in my driveway for weeks or months at a time, I found that to be normal.

How you described the two air lines and switches is the way I did mine in the past. When using them that way to level the rig at a campsite, it might be all you need to do. Depending on the terrain of each site but most of time the bags did the trick.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never had any need for air bags until I got my cargo trailer for the motorcycle. The extra tongue weight of the single axle trailer would drop the rear end about 2”. I added the Air Lift 5K air bags and it resolved that issue.

With just 50# the hitch height returns to 16” with the tongue dead level. To my surprise when not towing I put 20# in and the great ride I always enjoyed got even better... go figure? Don’t have a built in compressor but both air lines run to a single Schrader valve and my portable compressor tops them up nicely.

[emoticon]

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac, BTW, when I bought my new rig last year, I was scraping the rear hydraulic jacks on driveway aprons. I had to have the mounting plates cut shorter in order to raise them to gain some clearance. All is fine now.

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did someone mention that the E450 chassis uses a 55 gallon fuel tank and the E350 chassis only has a 38 gallon tank.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 24V Itasca on a 2001 E-350 had a 55 gallon gasoline tank.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 55-gallon tank was an option on the E-350 and most folks wisely optioned for that vs the 40-gallon standard tank. I love the extra range and fueling {vs price} options it gives us.

[emoticon]

Geeze

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

If you are looking for better ride quality,no problems with the front end and larger and more quiet cockpit area in a 24 Ft Class C the clear choice would be one built on a Chevy Chassis [emoticon]

I don't think manufacturers give the option to choose which chassis you get? I know we didn't have that option when we ordered our 2019 Leprechaun.

[/i]"Tired but not Retired"

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP was asking about a 24 ft and they all come with that choice in the link I provided.

A very large and heavy Leprechaun like yours only comes on a Ford Chassis.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> E350 vs E450 chassis pros and cons for a short 24 ft class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS