Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Need help recommendations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Need help recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger and it is giving me a lot of trouble. I'm not blaming Xantrex but the installation. I had it installed in a shop in Boise. Took them a couple months to figure it out and never did really work right. A year later it died. Warranty for 2.5 years but I lost my receipt. Shop did not keep one either.

So I bought another new one and had a different shop install it. The guy said it was wired all wrong. Hadn't disconnected the factory converter and they were fighting each other. Well, it died the first night of my first camping trip.

What I need is to find out where I can take this, hopefully somewhere in the NW, where they actually KNOW how to wire them in. I've talked to guys that have used this same unit for years with zero problems.

I kept the receipt this time!! But if it wasn't a manufacturer flaw I'll have to buy my 3rd one!! [emoticon]

Thanks so much, DJ

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, twin Trojan T 145s, 400 watts solar.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are in SoCal I could take a look at it [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are in Oregon, we have many highly qualified RV service centers.....Guaranty RV in Junction City, OR is just one of many in that area..Bend Oregon also has some highly qualified service centers.....

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Oregon, the Eugene area:

Oregon Motorcoach
Carrier & Sons
Kustom Coachworks.

I have used all three and recommend any of them

byronlj

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was caused by an installation error, you should try to reset the unit and check the internal fuses after you isolate it from the troubled installation.

byronlj
07.5 Silverado LTZ Ex. Cab 3500HD dually 4X4 duramax 2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL 99 Arctic Fox 990S truck camper

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navigator2346 wrote:

In Oregon, the Eugene area:

Oregon Motorcoach
Carrier & Sons
Kustom Coachworks.

I have used all three and recommend any of them

I live right next to Eugene in Springfield. I would not take anything to Guaranty. Their a huge outfit and usually backed up for months in work. Here in Springfield I would recommend The RV Store. 4425 main street Springfield, OR. 97478 541-741-0555 It's a smaller local shop been in business forever same owner. Ask for Gary, he's the owner. It's him and a couple employees. He's totally honest and has 4-5 star reviews on all the review sites. Give him a call and he will give you truthful straight talk.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you have not told us what you are trying to run in your rv with the inverter they will not run everything at once and should not be used to run multiple high draw devices other than a microwave for short periods.
if your battery voltage drops to low it will automatically shut off or you may have blown a fuse.
you are going to have to find out what is happening and the cause.
do you have the remote panel so you can see what it is doing and the load on it?
do you have the manual for it?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't answer about qualified shops, but I am curious what you mean by it failed again. Could it be a fuse or breaker popped and not the unit failing? Have you contacted the shop that installed it to see what they say? Unless you had a really bad feeling about the shop I would take it back and ask them to fix it correctly. If they wired it wrong they should be the ones buying the third unit.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Need help recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.