cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper Design, What Were They Thinking?

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
I had a call from a friend yesterday to help him with his Cougar 5th wheel. They bought it last fall from CW and have had it in storage this past winter.

Moved it to their house to pack and get ready for the season and low and behold, one of the slides wouldn't extend and he was at a loss.

Turns out it was just jammed in and the LCI slide mechanism would only ratchet. I though, easy fix, just turn it out a little using manual operation. WRONG! No wrench nor opening for the wrench. Turns out, to probably save $5, Cougar did not supply anything to operate it manually. CW told him to cut an "access" hole in the under skin to find the motor and use a ratchet wrench to extend the slide. WTH?

We ended up putting a wrench on the square drive shaft between the rack gears, applying a little torque while he hit the button. It came free and works normally now.

I find it flabbergasting that they did not supply any manual operation provisions.

End of rant.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)
15 REPLIES 15

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been there. Jiggled that. Had it happen with our first 5er on the 2nd day out taking it from TX to MD. Slide would not return. Some shaking, lots of cursing & a couple turns on the shaft did the trick. We were complete greenhorns at this RV thing at the time but had many years of dealing with whatever a boat could throw at us so the 'can do, we got this' attitude was there.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The slideout mfg DID provide a means of manually cranking slide.....hex on end of motor

RV MFG enclosed it because 'enclosed/heated underbellies are the 'thang'

Just dumb on the RV manufacturer. My Grand Design Reflection has enclosed and heated underbelly and I still have a manual crank and hole to access it without cutting the coroplast.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

glkids2
Explorer
Explorer
That's what happens when "OLD" memories are stirred up!!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
What does cranking an engine have to do with this post? If you can't get your slide to go in or out you could be stranded. If your truck won't start there's a lot of ways to get it running. These posts really go off the track at times.
B.O.
And isn't it great. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does cranking an engine have to do with this post? If you can't get your slide to go in or out you could be stranded. If your truck won't start there's a lot of ways to get it running. These posts really go off the track at times.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
And broken arms from the crank kicking back were not unheard of either.

And broken/dislocated thumbs, too! My dad taught me before I was a teen that the proper way to grab a starter crank handle was with my thumb tucked right up next to my index finger and NOT wrapped around the handle. Even then, you can still get bit, as I can attest. Starting my dad's 1.5 hp John Deere hit 'n miss and it fired hard and, even with the folding handle, it hit the end of my thumb right at the hinge and jammed it. That was over 10 years ago and it =still= hurts!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
Even the diesels with their higher compression ratios are easily turned by hand. A ton of repair protocols require the rotating mass to be rotated for adjustments etc. My 2005's ratio is 17.something to one.

Sure, it's easy to do...as long as the fenders have been removed and you've got a 6' cheater on the crank. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
And broken arms from the crank kicking back were not unheard of either.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Iraqvet05 wrote:

The compression ratios of modern engines would make it impossible to turn a car over by hand.

Actually, compression ratios haven't changed much at all in decades for gas engines.

Something like 8-1 is typical. High performance will get up around 9-1.

They can't go too much higher or they will start to knock and compression ignite (diesel operation), so you can hand crank a modern 4 cylinder roughly as easily as an old model T (of course assuming they provided a crank and a place to fit it)

8:1-9:1 is common for a modern engine but the Model A and T (when hand cranks were common) had a compression ration of 4.5:1.

I got to drive a 1930's Allis Chalmers WC tractor in a parade once (wife's grandfathers) and it about killed me trying to get it started by crank. Those guys had to be tough to own a car or tractor back then.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even the diesels with their higher compression ratios are easily turned by hand. A ton of repair protocols require the rotating mass to be rotated for adjustments etc. My 2005's ratio is 17.something to one.
Puma 30RKSS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Iraqvet05 wrote:

The compression ratios of modern engines would make it impossible to turn a car over by hand.

Actually, compression ratios haven't changed much at all in decades for gas engines.

Something like 8-1 is typical. High performance will get up around 9-1.

They can't go too much higher or they will start to knock and compression ignite (diesel operation), so you can hand crank a modern 4 cylinder roughly as easily as an old model T (of course assuming they provided a crank and a place to fit it)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
The slideout mfg DID provide a means of manually cranking slide.....hex on end of motor

RV MFG enclosed it because 'enclosed/heated underbellies are the 'thang'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, you don't get a manual starter crank on your car anymore. snip

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Explorer II
Explorer II
My Outback was the same way. I needed to cut the coraplast to get to it
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857