cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vancouver, B.C. to Whitehorse via Vancouver Island?

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Getting a very late start in planning this year for our summer trip. I'm thinking of taking our 34 ft fifth wheel from Vancouver, B.C. over to Victoria on Vancouver Island via the B.C. Ferries from Tsawassen to Nanaimo.

From there we'd head north via route 19A on the east side of the island, stopping along the way as we make our way up to Campbell River.

From Campbell River we'd continue on 19 all the way up to Port Hardy, where we'd board another ferry to Prince Rupert. This is the one ferry fare that gives me pause as the fare schedule shows it will be approx $1400 for our family of 5 and the truck/trailer. Ugh! But hey, it's an adventure right?

From Prince Rupert we'd head to the interior of B.C. via highway 16 to Kitwanga. From there it's on the Yukon, where we connect with highway 1 up to Whitehorse.

We start back south along a more interior B.C. route via highway 97 to Fort Nelson, then down to Dawson Creek.

From there it's southwest on highway 97 to Prince George, 100 Mile House. We eventually hit highway 1 on the way back to Vancouver.

Here's a website with the first part of our journey:
Crazy wonderous but hopefully not impossible

So has anyone done this trip? Is it even possible? I'm worried most about driving up Vancouver island. I remember going to Tofino from Nanaimo and how some of the turns were quite sharp. I'm not sure a truck pulling a 34 ft trailer would have made those turns. I don't recall height restrictions but there may have been some.

Recommendations?

Thanks.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
3 REPLIES 3

dedmiston
See this duplicate thread.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The main highway up the island is freeway all the way to Campbell River, fast and easy, but far enough inland that you miss all the seaside sights and businesses along the old coastal road. There are the usual exits and access roads.

North of there population and traffic drops off significantly. There's a bit of a pass, but no tight or curvy sections. The main business, until it returns to the coast, is logging.

I've mainly used provincial parks for camping and sight seeing.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I have made that trip and the roads on the island are very good. I stayed on the East side of the island and had no problems with the road at all. I took the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola. Then up the Hill to the mainland fun trip.