cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioner noise reduction

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife recently informed my that she could not sleep with the noise of the roof air conditioners and that we would not be allowed to use them during the night anymore. Somehow I stumbled across the noise silencers from WackO products and decided to order some for my motorhome. Basically, you must have ducted air conditioning with the air intake exposed. You remove the factory air intake from the AC and replace it with one that has noise deadening and makes the incoming air snake around some. It also blocks off the rapid cooling vent in the factory grill. I don't have the instruments to verify the claimed dB reduction but there is no doubt in my mind that all but the lowest frequencies have been significantly attenuated and the noise is much more tolerable. It is much easier to have a conversation or listen to music now. And, my wife says that we can use the air conditioner at night now.

When you look at what they are the $200 price does seem to be high but when considering how much more enjoyable my RV will be now they are a bargain. To make up for the loss of the rapid cooling vent in the factory grill I bought and installed some extra vents in the ductwork that seem to do the job just fine without bringing back the noise. At this time there may only be kits for Dometic and Coleman airconditioners.

One place to purchase the WackO silencer
43 REPLIES 43

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
rdhetrick wrote:
Groover wrote:
My wife recently informed my that she could not sleep with the noise of the roof air conditioners and that we would not be allowed to use them during the night anymore.

I would buy her a tent, much cheaper and easier...

Have you priced a divorce lately? ๐Ÿ™‚

If it was just about saving money I wouldn't even have this rig. I have no regrets about doing this and am looking forward to our next trip.

Hahaha!!
โ€œshe got the gold mine, I got the shaftโ€!

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Not pleased at all with my very noisy two year old Dometic A/C....

I plan to install a mini-split later this year.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
My wife finally started sleeping with ear plugs and an eye mask. It has saved our marriage. She couldn't tolerate any light or sound, now she's oblivious and sleeps soundly. Happy wife, happy life.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
I'd love to know how much this reduces overall cooling output. If I understand it correctly, it is simply a CFM reducer.

It makes the air take a less direct path and that path is lined with sound absorbing material. The air filter is larger and might allow more flow. As far as I can tell there is no reduction in air flow or cooling. I did add a couple of extra vents to my ductwork to be sure that I could get enough cool air where I wanted it. In my opinion system performance is improved.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
Rob,
This is what I ordered from Amazon in 2018 based on this statement I found on irv2. Although it doesnโ€™t specifically say, it did include a metal plate and some adhesive sound deadening.
โ€œ While we were at the THOR diesel Club rally in Goshen, the Dometic rep told us that if we switched out the air return cover to the basic one (no grill opening for the blast of air) it would be much quieter.

Just did it and it is much better. Costs about $50 from Amazon. use search term Dometic
3105007.045.โ€.
Here is the link to the actual one I ordered.
Gary

Thanks Gary. Much appreciated.
Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Rob,
This is what I ordered from Amazon in 2018 based on this statement I found on irv2. Although it doesnโ€™t specifically say, it did include a metal plate and some adhesive sound deadening.
โ€œ While we were at the THOR diesel Club rally in Goshen, the Dometic rep told us that if we switched out the air return cover to the basic one (no grill opening for the blast of air) it would be much quieter.

Just did it and it is much better. Costs about $50 from Amazon. use search term Dometic
3105007.045.โ€.
Here is the link to the actual one I ordered.
Gary

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
We have a ducked Dometic heat pump and installed the Dometic version of this sound reducer. I believe it was less than $50. It too does away with the rapid cooling vent and adds some sound deadening to the input area. Easy install and made a noticeable difference in overall noise level.

Gary

Gary can you please post a web link to this or some other information so that we can have a look and possibly order one as well.

Thanks,
Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We have a ducked Dometic heat pump and installed the Dometic version of this sound reducer. I believe it was less than $50. It too does away with the rapid cooling vent and adds some sound deadening to the input area. Easy install and made a noticeable difference in overall noise level.

Gary

Vilton
Explorer
Explorer
Man, you can't even imagine how familiar this problem is to me! I also wasn't allowed to use our air conditioner at night because of the noise that my neigbours couldn't bear and I totally underastand them.
I mean, I'm a heavy sleeper, so it's really hard to wake me up at night, but it was also really uncomfortable for me, especially during the summer when I couldn't keep the air conditioner on at night.
So I decided to buy a new one but wanted to opt for something cheap and at the same time quualitative. I found a good Toshiba air conditioner on the socool.sg site.
By the way, they also provide repair services, so if you don't want to buy a new one you can just ask them too help you repair it.
Hope this helps!

bazar01
Explorer
Explorer
New member here.

My Dometic roof mounted non-ducted ac that came with my 2016 camper trailer is very noisy. I can't sleep well.

I installed a 1-ton ductless mini split inverter heat pump and problem solved. It was very quiet.

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it reduces the CFM at all.

It works by adding a channel with sound absorbing sides to the return air side of the AC unit.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'd love to know how much this reduces overall cooling output. If I understand it correctly, it is simply a CFM reducer.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would get one of these if I were sure it would fit our Atwood Air Command unit. Have reached out to the company but not heard back yet.
Our unit is quieter than our previous AC but still too loud for my wifes' comfort.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine