cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

supplemental cabinet latch?

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Had a cabinet door malfunction the other day. Ran over a rut unevenly, and dumped the cabinet contents out on the floor breaking plates and cups. Somehow the dogs were uninjured. The doors open upward, and struts on both sides work to keep the doors open or closed. Can anyone recommend a good supplemental latch? Or canine hard hat?
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4
6 REPLIES 6

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
The cure

One at 60 lbs didn't seem to be quite enough, so I went with 2 per door for 120. (must be a metric to english conversion issue somewhere. I don't think we're really pulling that hard). Tested recently by going over some deep water bars. Cabinets stayed secure, just be ready to catch the stuff when opening afterward. The included screws were cheap, and were discarded. Thanks all.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
i saw somewhere the latches used on the outside of the camper to keep the storage doors closed used on cabinet doors.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a stupid thought, but you can try those safety latches made so babies can't open cabinets.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just added small screen door type latches. I picked brass colored hardware so it is not too ugly. We do not use the latches while we camp, just when traveling.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the child safety locks, the ones that use a magnet to unlock. They also have a lever that once unlocked, can be flipped so you don't need the magnet to unlock it every time. I used these on a FW I once owned and they were great.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, I've had the same problem as I suspect many others have had too.

I tried Bungee cords and then went the the little metal hooks with the spring safety latch.. (sorry, I'll try to find a pic) The latches work of course, but I don't really like them and they are a little tricky in lining up the holes with the hook part.. so interested in other solutions.. Velcro might be the best answer...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website