cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Olympic National Park

Hiker52
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to spend some time in the area of Olympic NP this summer. I see a lot of campgrounds but not so many with the full hookups, etc (and good reviews) that we like when traveling. Which is the best side of the park to stay, probably about a week in the area. Would like to go whale watching plus hiking and touring in the park and the area. Any specific campgrounds for a 35 ft 5th wheel? Will be coming from or going to Mt Rainier. Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to post the link:

Hard Rain

By the way, their cafe is really good.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want hookups, we liked Elwha. We also liked Hard Rain RV in the Hoh Valley. That place is almost like boondocking with hookups -- very quiet and remote.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
July and August are the dry months..................usually. A bigger worry might be any summer wildfires that we have struggled through the last few years with lots of smoke statewide and some "imported" from Canada. Hopefully we will have fewer large fires. This is a beautiful area, enjoy.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is rare to dry camp on the Olympic Peninsula.
Wet camping with no hookups.
Forks gets 100 inches of rain. The mountain locations on the west side of the range, get up to 200 inches.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hiker52 wrote:
Thanks for all the input. We can definitely dry camp when needed. Considering Elwha Dam and a couple of others. Looking forward to seeing the area. Is late July and August wet?

When I was in Bremerton they had received 143 days of straight rain. Not all day frog chokers but a steady light drizzle. They don't call it a rain forest for no reason.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Hiker52
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. We can definitely dry camp when needed. Considering Elwha Dam and a couple of others. Looking forward to seeing the area. Is late July and August wet?

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Salt Beach Campground on the Puget Sound side, just west of Port Angeles is a great campground.
The best place for whale watching is probably La Push, a tiny little Quileute village, on the Pacific side of the Olympics. There is a RV Park there that is right on the water. The beach is rocky and and filled with drift wood but was the only place we have ever seen whales.
And as your driving in the area make sure you stop at Ruby Beach, no camping but have your camera ready.
And even though its a dry campground, at least spend one night at the HOH Rain forest. There are tree sections and one has sites right along the river and the other two are under canopies of trees.

rarintogo
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide you want to stay at Ft Worden or Flagler, I would for sure make reservations. Both parks are very busy in the summer.
Joe and Joy
'04 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise - 34D
W22 Workhorse, Banks Power Pack, Bilstein Shocks, Davis TruTrac,
Jeep Liberty Toad.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Elwha RV park and they can easily handle your rig.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Very popular area in the summer, reservations at parks with hoiokups likely a must do. Enjoy!

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
On your way to or from Mt Rainier you may want to spend a couple days around Port Townsend.
Either at Fort Worden State Park, my first choice or if they are full, Fort Flagler State Park. You can take a whale watching tour from Port Townsend up into the San Juan islands for Killer Whale sightings.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Port Angels KOA, when we visited Olympic NP. It appears that they have 22 full hookup sites.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have a much easier time if you can prepare yourself to avoid hookups. My favorite place is South Beach, about 3 mi south of Kalaloch.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the country over by Lake Quinalt and Forks. Lower elevations are not quite as wet. The Hoh Rainforest is very interesting for people to see.