cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Start

RoaminRichards
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 R- Vision Condor motor home with a Chevy 454. Up until recently I have been starting the coach while in storage to exercise my engine. Last week I started the engine and ran it for about 20 minutes then I shut down. The engine would not start again. All I get is a clicking sound when I energize the ignition switch. Starter was pulled and bench checked good. New battery was installed. Performed alternator check which was also good. Checked all fuses that I could locate and found nothing. Every time I try an engine start I just get the clicking sound like the starter is not receiving good contact. I am looking for suggestions as to what I might check to resolve my issue. I also removed and replaced both battery cables. Problem appears to be something connected to the starter system. Checked for power at engine fuse box and all is good there. I am looking for suggestions as to what I might check to resolve my issue.
7 REPLIES 7

MrWizard
Thank you for the update
Nice to know the problem has been found and solved
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RoaminRichards
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Problem Solved
I had to take my coach to an RV repair shop to get the problem resolved. After several hours of searching and testing it was found to be a bad connection behind my engine fuse panel. The RV tech had to completely remove the engine fuse panel to locate and repair a ground wire coming from ignition switch through the firewall to the fuse panel. The wire had a loose connection and once repaired the coach started without issues. I would have never been able to do the work myself do to the difficulty of access.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
have someone try the starter, while you listen for the clicking noise under the hood to find the starter relay, some GM's the extra starter relay was an after thought and could be placed anywhere, found some mounted on the rad support as well..

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I know yours is 16 years newer than mine, but some things don't change much.

The starter has a solenoid on it. You said it was bench tested and good. Unlike Fords, the GM starter solenoids are attached to the starter. In addition to that starter solenoid, they put another solenoid in the circuit because apparently there were re-start issues (starter would run on its own after starting). So there are 2 solenoids - at least that's the case on my '84. The second solenoid is mounted to the alternator bracket. If it fails, it won't send juice to the starter.

The clicking sound could be just about anything. Like wa8yxm said, different sounds mean different things. The click you hear could be the start relay.

All that said, I'd still suspect the starter itself.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CLick, Clunk and clatter are different things also 20 minutes is not long enough to run the engine.

Sharp high tone click is the PILOT relay.. If your Chevy system is like my workhorse this is in the main chassis Fuse box. Dead center under the hood. Eye level for a 6'person. Black box. no markings push latches to remover cover labels inside id the Relay

CLUNK is the starter solonoid

Clatter is low voltage (Battery or bad connection somewhere).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
bad solonoid or a loose/corroded connection. using a meter and with someone turning the key measure the voltage at each step..battery, solenoid in and out and at the starter. should be a loss of voltage or a loose/corroded cable.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the relay to the starter is bad. Common on the F-53's. I know you don't have and F-53, but likely you do have a starter relay. They are cheap, but sometimes hard to find.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.