cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refriderator replacement

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Saw an ad for an Amish cooling system replacement for the Dometic units that uses a compressor and runs 12/120. Has anyone tried this? How does it work? Looks like a $600+ cost and likely not a DIY.
19 REPLIES 19

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Rice wrote:
The OP is talking about replacing the gas absorption cooling unit in a Dometic refrigerator with a compressor-type cooling unit that runs only on electricity; it uses the same box that's already there. The company that makes it also sells replacement gas absorption cooling units (which also use the same box already there), which are often referred to as "Amish cooling units" as a generic, to distinguish them from cooling units made by Norcold or Dometic.

I'm also interested in the compressor-type cooling unit, but have never found any data on how much electricity it uses in a 24-hour period, to compare it to a residential refrigerator.

I have wondered the same thing. Not sure if they reuse the existing cooling coils, but clean them and circulate freon rather than ammonia. The cooling plate is encased in foam so would be difficult to remove and replace.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is talking about replacing the gas absorption cooling unit in a Dometic refrigerator with a compressor-type cooling unit that runs only on electricity; it uses the same box that's already there. The company that makes it also sells replacement gas absorption cooling units (which also use the same box already there), which are often referred to as "Amish cooling units" as a generic, to distinguish them from cooling units made by Norcold or Dometic.

I'm also interested in the compressor-type cooling unit, but have never found any data on how much electricity it uses in a 24-hour period, to compare it to a residential refrigerator.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Just an FYI on Leon. He can do warranty work on both Norcold and Dometic. When he replaced our cooling unit on our 1200 series, he gave us a 3-year warranty. It is his own design and he is Amish, but it is not actually the one sold as "The Amish Cooling Unit." In fact, his is a bit different and he will tell you why his is the one you want.

He also sells and installs the ARP unit, which is a fail safe switch that will shut off your fridge when the system is getting overheated. That happens when you are out of level. It shuts down the fridge, then restarts when it cools down. Keeps them from burning up.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

MrWizard
I saw something, that said 1 amp draw ( I assume 120v)
And runs from a 600w inverter, psw Not needed

It pulls less than 1 Amp and will run off a 600W inverter (does not require pure sine wave).

This is in the text of "Option #1"
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bruce_Brown
I looked, didn't see the answer - any idea on the amp draw of the new compressor type?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
I went to the jc refrigeration website
I saw the compressor cooling units

Is that an Amish company? I don't see the word Amish anywhere

In large letters, right up at the very top of the very first page:

"Dutch Aire Amish RV Cooling Units"

Yep, the best to work with, replacement units come with 3 year warranty, this can be extended to 6 years for $125.00. I have the gas replacement, works perfect.
Terry
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

In large letters, right up at the very top of the very first page:

"Dutch Aire Amish RV Cooling Units"

Our Travel Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wrgrs50s wrote:
Never heard of one with a compressor

I have not heard Amish Built has 'em but I know dometic and Norcold both do. Mine is ENGEL (Not exactly the same but "Like" in many ways) and I'm very pleased with me.. The only time it has failed was due to a 12 volt problem external to it Many things stopped working that day (It is fed off a power strip a few inches from this laptop as are some radios and a fan and so on and they all failed as the power lead to the power strip failed)

OH Door closed. they draw less than 50 watts.
Or about the same as two 1141 Lights
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
If you are looking for a replacement refrigerator, the best place to look is National RV Refrigeration

Leon is a young Amish man who works on any RV refrigerator and can fix some and replace others. He knows more about the gas absorption units than anyone. He is as honest as the day is long and will not take advantage of anyone. He will answer questions and sell parts if he has them.

You have to leave a message and he will call you back before the day is over.

Dale

Thanks for this information. My Dometic cooling unit went bad in November.

Will definitely be contacting Leon in the future. Local RV Dealer service center wants more for just the unit plus labor than the website shows for complete installation.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
If you are looking for a replacement refrigerator, the best place to look is National RV Refrigeration

Leon is a young Amish man who works on any RV refrigerator and can fix some and replace others. He knows more about the gas absorption units than anyone. He is as honest as the day is long and will not take advantage of anyone. He will answer questions and sell parts if he has them.

Dale

+1 on Leon. Fixed my fridge in a few hours, great guy. Highly recommended.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
We have a fairly large population of Amish locally. Just because they don't/won't own it doesn't mean they won't build and or use it.

I'd be interested in seeing what this new deal may be.

"REPLACES NORCOLD Gas/Elect COOLING UNITS AND CONVERTS IT TO A โ€œCOMPRESSOR TYPEโ€ COOLING UNIT"

You have to scroll down to see the unit.

Our Travel Blog

Bruce_Brown
We have a fairly large population of Amish locally. Just because they don't/won't own it doesn't mean they won't build and or use it.

I'd be interested in seeing what this new deal may be.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910