Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Generator while traveling for travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Generator while traveling for travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I recently purchased a pair of champion inverters and the parallel kit. We used it during overnight road stops during our recent trip to FL and they were great. Ran the 15K AC and everything else no problem. As we head into the summer I am curious to know if anyone runs a generator while towing a travel trailer to keep the AC running and whatever else similar to what motorhomes do? My outback has a nice rack on the rear and I think I could secure both generators and the parallel box pretty easily. The next thing would be finding a very short 50amp shore power cord so that I don't need to secure 25'. Anyone doing this?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most portable generators need to be level when running. Roads are not level, and the carrier may not be level, when hooked to tow vehicle.

Some folks are afraid to run their fridge on propane, while going down the road. I would not feel comfortable, with two running gens, bouncing around on back of a towed trailer.

Jerry

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some run the generators just before their last stop so the AC cools the trailer down. They don’t have to be perfectly level. I’d be concerned about the bouncing more than anything.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I’m sure you’d be ok, your A/C should cool your unit quickly when you arrive. What else would you need electricity for going down the road?

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have in the past ran my fridge on LP while traveling remembering most times to turn it off while fueling. I don't anymore as I found the fridge will stay cold for a 7 hour and even up to a 10 hour trip with it in the off position. So I don't see the value of running a portable generator on a TT taking the chance that the fuel cap will stay tightly closed. Or fuel spilling out the vented cap. Keep in mind that portable generators weren't designed for this purpose.

As for the AC, as was stated already, they will cool the TT quickly.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys. Regarding propane Fridge, I have done that for years and never had a problem. I start it 24 hours before I leave, load it just before leaving and keep it running the entire time. Our trailer is 38' and if the temp is above 80 degrees it takes a while to cool and we end up soaked in sweat getting setup. Would be nice to have it nice and cool when we arrive. I figured motorhomes do it all the time but I did not consider the vented cap. Although they are in the back of my truck getting there and dont ever spill?? Anyway, thanks!

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run them... They will operate just fine on the rack. It's a carbureted engine just like a dirt bike, the big difference being there isn't a slosh baffle on the main jet on the generator.

My father in law had to run a Honda 2k on a trip because the fridge failed to operate on propane.

My trailer cools 'quickly' but if it didn't I'd run the A/C during the last leg of the trip.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run my generator, in the bed of the truck, while driving. I have a permanently installed 12 gauge extension cord run inside the frame rail of the trailer. One end with a twist-lock connector for my TT power inlet, the other with a regular 3 prong plug for the generator.

No problem with it being "off level", if the vehicle engine can run, the generator engine likely will.

No problem with leaking fuel or the cap coming off. The generator vibrates itself far more than driving down the road vibrates it. Don't fill the fuel all the way up the neck if fuel is leaking out cap.

Never ran two in parallel for the AC while driving. I run to power heaters required for severe cold camping (tank heaters, plumbing heaters, etc). Also to re-charge my large battery bank traveling between boondock sites, very helpful on long multi-day drives.

Can't even hear the generator on the highway. Recharge while driving so I don't have to listen to it when I arrive.

For me the only outstanding issue is the exhaust heat. When I travel on a long haul, I usually have the truck bed loaded pretty tight. I have to be mindful about where the hot exhaust port is pointing so nothing else gets damaged.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do run my generator while trundling down the road. I'm fortunate to have remote electric start. I'll run it for the last hour of travel to cool down the living quarters on the RV.

I wish I had gone massive solar instead. I could have squeezed on about 1400 watts which would be enough to run the roof air.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Thanks guys. Regarding propane Fridge, I have done that for years and never had a problem. I start it 24 hours before I leave, load it just before leaving and keep it running the entire time. Our trailer is 38' and if the temp is above 80 degrees it takes a while to cool and we end up soaked in sweat getting setup. Would be nice to have it nice and cool when we arrive. I figured motorhomes do it all the time but I did not consider the vented cap. Although they are in the back of my truck getting there and dont ever spill?? Anyway, thanks!

In the back of your truck, would be a lot smoother ride than sitting on a rack behind TT. Also you would have your cap vents closed, when not running, so no leakage.

The above posters running theirs in rear of truck, or motorhome, are not subjected to the bounce of a trailer rear carrier. JMHO, hope you figure out what works best for you! [emoticon]

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Generator while traveling for travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.