cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda stick shift as a toad?

RVROSE
Explorer
Explorer
The list of available stick shift automobiles available as toads is decreasing every year. In 2019, Honda lists a Civic and a Fit that can be towed. Does anyone pull one of these down the road 4 wheels down? What are your impressions?
2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.
5 REPLIES 5

wjadams08
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my 2018 Fit set up with a Blue Ox tow bar and a vacuum auxiliary brake setup. We will be going on a short (170 mi) round trip this weekend for a shake down run. We have a 2015 Jayco Greyhawk with a V-10. Showing dogs in Cincinnati then Saint Louis the following weekend. Iโ€™ll post something after each trip. Love my Hondaโ€™s but the CRVโ€™s arenโ€™t flat towable anymore.

colonelcorto
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 95 Honda accord stick shift, tows fine.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '12 stick shift Fit that I drive as my daily driver, with somewhere around 135K miles on it now. I have not pulled it behind my motorhome, however.

I'm quite fond of the car, I must say; it's been extremely reliable and trouble-free, and is relatively fun to drive for a cheap little car, and has a very flexible iterior arrangement. The gearing is a bit strange, with the gears rather lower than I would like (I wish I had a gear above fifth gear sometimes, or more to the point a different final drive ratio). The new ones with the six speed transmissions have the same basic overall span of ratios, just with the gears closer together, for reasons known only to Honda.

The Fit does get quite decent gas mileage. It is not a quiet or luxerious car inside, which is hardly surprising. I do think it's a bit ugly, but at least it's ugly in a kind of cute way. Adjusting the valves or changing the spark plugs is a bit of an ordeal, requiring disassembling a surprising amount of stuff to get at the top of the engine, but it's not like either one needs to be done super frequently. Other maintenance seems to be pretty straightforward.

RVROSE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Katuna, that is good information. Much appreciated.
2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife has a FIT with 90K miles, auto, that she likes a lot. My bro has a stick shift FIT that I have driven.

I didnโ€™t like the FIT stick experience. Just too much shifting and thatโ€™s in Fl.

I tow a 2011 Element and have towed CRVs. I would hunt down a low mile CRV auto to flat tow. I think 2014 was the last year towable.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.