cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

split mattress question

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking at class c's with a bedroom slide. They all seem to have the split mattress. It looks like one half rides up and over the other half when you retract the slide. Am I right? Have just been looking on line so no one to ask. If that is true, you must have to strip the bed and remake it at each opening and closing. Right? Now the big question, are they comfortable?? Are they more expensive to replace than a regular rv mattress? Would you buy another rv with this set up?
rich
rich
8 REPLIES 8

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Our Sprinter/Thor HL24 has a split mattres. Just make the bed and flip it over, just that simple. It works well.

Rick

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
THOR Vegas 25.3 for one. Lots of others. Very popular in shorter class C's and even A's with a bath in the rear and a slid that goes out the side.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
My 29' Winnebago C has a bedroom slide with a regular short queen mattress. Never seen the folding mattress.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
We have a bedroom slide that the bed slides in and out and it is not a folding bed, it's a regular short queen.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
maddog348 wrote:
news to me ~~ never saw that in an ad.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

Most Cs with bedroom with slide out the side and rear bath have folding beds. Seems to be in the smaller sizes too. The floor plans and sales brochures don't show it very often.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might consider using a regular size queen fitted sheet if that folding bed is a short queen. The fold will be an easier fold with no restriction if the fitted sheet is a tad big.

Also, if you use your rig at roadside rest areas you will need to deploy the slide to sleep unless you have an additional cabover bed. You don't want to open a slide into a travel lane. You might end up with a tri-folding mattress.

It should be comfortable , not many complain about that. As far as additional cost to replace....it will last many years, I would not worry about that.
The rv will start to leak before the mattress wears out.

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our bedroom slide with split mattress for over four years. We do not strip the bed. Just flip up and minimal adjustment when you flip back down. Comfort was good but as one of us is at 270# we added a foam mattress pad and it still folds easily. The split is under the leg area and is not not noticeable even when getting in and out from the bottom. Our longest trip was thirty days and comfort was good. We have not replaced, but I will assume that cost will be higher.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
news to me ~~ never saw that in an ad.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV