Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Class B,

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy an RV Class B 2020
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?
17 REPLIES 17

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Buying from an OUT of state RV Dealer is nothing like driving into a local in-state RV Dealer. I can see how anyone would think that but this has been nothing at all like the past 18-RVs I've owned or converted. WAY SO MUCH DIFFERENT.

First, it's not just finding any RV Dealer, but one you can work with fairly.

Travel arrangements.

Hotel or Motel Stays

Finding Places to eat and shop while all come together.

Rent-A-Car for some or the Dealer can help with traveling which is nice.

Meeting new people and making new friends.

WAITING MONTH AFTER MONTH.

All the above and inspections

Money transfers with out of state Banks.

LOT MORE TRUST is required.

Working out the options and getting updates on the unit ordered.

Were not their YET
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
The reason is obvious as we see the daily repeated rounds of the Amazon delivery vans, which are now omnipresent in urban areas.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
As of today we still don't have a CLASS B, From the time of this posting as you know, we were looking for some helpful tips and information on buying out of our state.

As you can not buy directly from an Up-Fitter, I did ask them who was close and they provided the information. We then made contact with an RV Dealer in that state, Who then, in turn, sent us a PRICE SHEET. Kind of a wish list of available options. We returned the wish list along with a holding fee. Now we wait. In August 2019 we learned that Mercedes-Benz would be making 20.000 MB-Sprinter vans for AMAZON. Sept, Oct came a went and we called them up fitters and learned that they would be getting an allotment of some 2020 MB Sprinter Vans and a new price sheet wishlist was completed and returned to the dealer as now were looking and waiting for a 2020 model.

The last word is now it looks like Jan or February for a NEW Class B MB-Sprinter VAN 4500 Camper 170"-Wheel Base. Auto sliding door, So now we wait.

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
in conclusion, Follow UP: Thanks to everyone's for their most informative feedback. We have been able to learn more about doing this out of STATE RV pick up and buying an RV out of our STATE and comfort zone.

Gryphon63
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that can trip you up a bit is differences in titling procedures between the two states.

I bought an RV several years ago in Ohio & brought it home to Missouri. In Ohio, when you buy a vehicle (at least, if you buy one with a loan), they don't give you the title; the lien holder gets the title and you get a piece of paper with a bunch of the title info on it (I think they called it a Title Memorandum, or something like that). It has enough info for the Ohio DMV to register your vehicle.

However, when you buy a vehicle in Missouri, you always are given the title even if there is a loan on it. You take the title to the License Bureau and turn it in with the registration paperwork, and the state will issue a new title in your name (which may be sent to the lien holder if there is one & they want to hold it).

So when I walked into my local Missouri License Bureau without the actual title certificate for my RV, I got turned away at first - that Ohio Title Memorandum meant nothing to them. I had to go to a couple different offices before I found somebody who knew how to handle the situation (basically, they give you a form to send to the lien holder instructing them to mail the current title to the Missouri DOR so they can issue the new title).

My point being, you might want to brush up on what's required to register an out-of-state vehicle in your home state so you're prepared for any differences like that. If I had known about the necessary paperwork, I could have tried to get the title certificate from the Ohio dealer, or at least could have informed the first Missouri registrar I talked to about the required form.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote:
F From what I see the best flight time is into Cincinnati, rent and drive to the hotel outside Delta, Ohio. That is as close as I can fly into the area sadly.

Is this due to flight times? Toledo is the closest (but probably has limited flights). That said, Detroit is actually much close to Delta, OH, and Cleveland and Columbus are also notably closer than Cincinnati.

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig, Good feedback thank you.

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me, some good feedback on Warranty work as that is good information to know. Thank you.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote:
I was kind of wondering about routine maintenance.

We take ours to a local Dodge dealership for routine mechanical work (all it has needed so far has been oil changes). We just had to call first to make sure they had a lift that could handle it. It's really no different than taking one of our passenger cars in. And that is one thing we like the most about having a B versus an A--the ease of finding a dealership/garage that can work on them.

For warranty work on the RV components--Our previous RV was a Forest River and the current one is a Winnebago. We had no problem finding local dealers who would do warranty work on them.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We flew from Alaska to Colorado on a Friday night and bought the DP from a private individual on Saturday. Planed on driving it from to Colorado to Washington over the weekend and fly home Sunday night.

We had called the CO DMV to ask what we should do about plates or tags and they said not to worry about it since we'd be out of their state and have it parked again before the weekend was over and any states DMV opened up again.

It worked out fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We did it twice, the dealer knows how to do it.

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
First, let me say thanks to one and all who replied. Seems to be very straight forward as with my local RV Dealer. I was kind of wondering about routine maintenance. Will the vehicle be there when I get there as its not on the lot yet and I was informed they would call. I feel very comfortable with the dealership. I DO NOT HAVE ANY ISSUES with the dealers part. From what I see the best flight time is into Cincinnati, rent and drive to the hotel outside Delta, Ohio. That is as close as I can fly into the area sadly.

Kind of making me wonder why I asked. Guess I'm just thinking of being in an area I do not know. Renting a car, hotel and driving back home. I must be over thinking the whole thing.

So thanks to one and all for your feedback.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
As several have pointed out, dealers are prepared to handle out of state sales. We bought our 2005 Class B from Van City RV in St. Louis and it was very simple. Van City not only had the best price for what we wanted but they also paid to fly us to St. Louis from Raleigh, NC to pick it up.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Done it several times - no big deal;
The Dealer gives you a temporary tag (usually valid for 30 days), call up my
insurance company and I'm on my way.

You do NOT pay tax in the state where you buy the RV but instead you pay
the tax when you title the RV (at least in NJ);

Dealer should be all set up for this - it really is THAT easy.
Gerry