Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Class B, not in my city or STATE. Ideas?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Buying a Class B, not in my city or STATE. Ideas?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Songbirds

Whereever I lay my head

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking to buy an RV Class B 2020 and It's NOT in my City or STATE. The RV part and selection is no problem. Buying an RV in another STATE is completely a NEW thing for me. SUGGESTIONS, TIPS, ideas? ShaferRV.com

I won't be driving but flying, renting a car, staying in a Hotel the day before. Then we will drive back home from OHIO. So what do you think?

* This post was edited 04/28/19 03:48pm by Songbirds *

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be just like purchasing any other vehicle out of state. They will issue a temp tag. We purchased our tt out of state and that's how it worked.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in ohio canton area bought three MH out of state ,if from a dealer its no problem they should handle the paper work. when your back home you,ll take the rv to the dmv to be licensed and title work. and state sales tax.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought both our current and former RVs out of state. Both transactions were relatively hassle free. It's a common thing to do and so the dealership is likely very familiar with the procedure.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

fitznj

nj

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Done it several times - no big deal;
The Dealer gives you a temporary tag (usually valid for 30 days), call up my
insurance company and I'm on my way.

You do NOT pay tax in the state where you buy the RV but instead you pay
the tax when you title the RV (at least in NJ);

Dealer should be all set up for this - it really is THAT easy.

Gerry

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As several have pointed out, dealers are prepared to handle out of state sales. We bought our 2005 Class B from Van City RV in St. Louis and it was very simple. Van City not only had the best price for what we wanted but they also paid to fly us to St. Louis from Raleigh, NC to pick it up.

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Songbirds

Whereever I lay my head

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, let me say thanks to one and all who replied. Seems to be very straight forward as with my local RV Dealer. I was kind of wondering about routine maintenance. Will the vehicle be there when I get there as its not on the lot yet and I was informed they would call. I feel very comfortable with the dealership. I DO NOT HAVE ANY ISSUES with the dealers part. From what I see the best flight time is into Cincinnati, rent and drive to the hotel outside Delta, Ohio. That is as close as I can fly into the area sadly.

Kind of making me wonder why I asked. Guess I'm just thinking of being in an area I do not know. Renting a car, hotel and driving back home. I must be over thinking the whole thing.

So thanks to one and all for your feedback.

* This post was edited 04/28/19 06:54pm by Songbirds *

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did it twice, the dealer knows how to do it.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We flew from Alaska to Colorado on a Friday night and bought the DP from a private individual on Saturday. Planed on driving it from to Colorado to Washington over the weekend and fly home Sunday night.

We had called the CO DMV to ask what we should do about plates or tags and they said not to worry about it since we'd be out of their state and have it parked again before the weekend was over and any states DMV opened up again.

It worked out fine.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 03:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Songbirds wrote:

I was kind of wondering about routine maintenance.

We take ours to a local Dodge dealership for routine mechanical work (all it has needed so far has been oil changes). We just had to call first to make sure they had a lift that could handle it. It's really no different than taking one of our passenger cars in. And that is one thing we like the most about having a B versus an A--the ease of finding a dealership/garage that can work on them.

For warranty work on the RV components--Our previous RV was a Forest River and the current one is a Winnebago. We had no problem finding local dealers who would do warranty work on them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Buying a Class B, not in my city or STATE. Ideas?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS