cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo leak

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Just discovered a leak were the turbo bolts to engine. Peice of gasket missing. I'm blowing black smoke under load and have a loss of power. Also looks like a nut is missing from stud on right side. I have another 3-4 hour last leg of our trip tomorrow.
So opinions on runnng like this for 4 hours. I much rather fix this in my backyard at home and know were to get parts.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
63 REPLIES 63

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I see now. Your Pac Brake is quite similar to the Blue Ox I have on my 7.3. Just a controlled shutter that shuts off the exhaust and creates back pressure in the engine.

Kind of surprised being a DDEC motor it didn't come with mechanical (under the valve cover retarders). Shutter type retarders are never used on commercial trucks, always mechanical retarders.

I rarely use mine but I have it anyway. A 4 stroke diesel is a fantastic compressr when you hold the exhaust valve slightly open during braking. The advantage to an external retarder is it's simple and requires no adjustment. The downside is, it's nowhere as efficient as a mechanical retarder acting on the exhaust valves.

So now you are collecting turbo's? Might want to go compound turbocharging....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
DDEC motors have tremendous engine braking, much better than Cat or Cummins. Good design. Not sure where the PAC Brake name comes into play, they had zilch to do with it.

They had nothing to do with it but the Pac Brake needs to be able to bolt up to the turbo.
Had a little free time and installed.
These pics are of the third and correct turbo you can see how this turbo is machined out for the lip of the pac brake. Need to put some oil in it tomorrow and hook up the oil feed line and fire it up.

As you can see in this pic of turbo #2 it is not machined and just a tad to small to accept pac brake. Even if it did fit I don't like the way the exhaust would hit the rim of the pac brake. The other turbo the exhaust flows over the machined lip.

2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Been kinda busy second turbo would not accept pac brake. Third one is the charm.
Hopefully get it in this weekend.

2015 Wrangler JKU

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
DDEC motors have tremendous engine braking, much better than Cat or Cummins. Good design. Not sure where the PAC Brake name comes into play, they had zilch to do with it.
2015 Backpack SS1500

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
All done but can't get the old V clamp on the turbo outlet to pac brake.
Ordered a new one today suppose to be in tomorrow morning.
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Finally. Won't have time to install until Friday

2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Turbo came Friday noticed part # was off by one digit.
Wrong one sent back,right one shipped. :M
Still waiting for one more hose to arrive also.
2015 Wrangler JKU

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
So it' not exchange? Kind of unusual. Usually they want the core so they can rebuild / resell it.

Yes no core or core charge. It's a Borgwarner turbo.
Went to the dealer today to get a couple o rings for the oil return line counter guy told me if I ordered one from the it would have been the same turbo just in their box for $1200.00 more.

Like mouthwash and oil filters. All from the same machine with different labels and prices.

Not to start a war but I used to deliver steel to one of the biggest independent oil filter makers in the country and I used to watch the machines spit out thousands of oil filters, all different sizes. The only thing that changed was the color of the can and t=he stencilled on label....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
So it' not exchange? Kind of unusual. Usually they want the core so they can rebuild / resell it.

Yes no core or core charge. It's a Borgwarner turbo.
Went to the dealer today to get a couple o rings for the oil return line counter guy told me if I ordered one from the it would have been the same turbo just in their box for $1200.00 more.
2015 Wrangler JKU

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Backpack SS1500

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Removed bottom intake hose to air charger and nothing there
Vacuumed and nothing.Hooked up my big shop vac using a 4x2 ferenco ran vac went into coach and put my hand over other pipe letting go nothing sucked into vac.
I'm calling it good to go. Once parts come in put it back togeather. Took old turbo all apart may rebuild it.
2015 Wrangler JKU

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say no pressure loss, good to go and one less issue and a very expensive issue if it had arose. Now, to see if there is any pieces parts in the bottom expansion chamber...

Look over all the connector hoses, especially on the pressure side and replace if necessary. Like I said before, a hose failure on the road could be a real issue.
2015 Backpack SS1500

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Didn’t have much time today but tomorrow plan on pulling off bottom hose that goes into air charger and see if anything is laying there then shop vac.
Ordered new turbo should be here by end of week
2015 Wrangler JKU

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
As far as integrity of the cooler I'd say you are good-to-go. Were you able to find any turbo blade piece/parts on the inlet? Since it is lightweight aluminum, maybe a good shop vac could pull something out if it's in there.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy