cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bighorn National Forest Wyoming

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Starting at Buffalo WY, west on US16 to Worland, north to Greybull, east on US14 to IS90. What kind of roads are these? Would driving this loop in the opposite direction be better? If so, why? Would snow likely be a problem in mid-May?
6 REPLIES 6

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
If you are coming up from Colorado - I would suggest you head to Shoshoni from Casper on RT 20 and drive the Wind River Canyon to Thermopolis and on up from there - Just Beautiful.

Enjoy the Drive
We took your suggestion and did enjoy the drive.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have driven all of the paved roads in the Bighorns. Most people can drive any of these roads with the exception of 14A from Burgess Junction to Lovell. If you are bothered by steep grades, tight switchbacks, using engine braking, STAY OFF 14A. I love the road and will be going down it again this year after camping off the grid on top of the range. I was taught to drive by my father who was a truck driver. I grew up towing in hills. Take you time.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There will be snow this week. Wait a day if you have to. It is great country and the roads are good, there is just a lot of grade.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
Starting at Buffalo WY, west on US16 to Worland, north to Greybull, east on US14 to IS90. What kind of roads are these? Would driving this loop in the opposite direction be better? If so, why? Would snow likely be a problem in mid-May?

In your Rig I would not have a problem even in the Snow ๐Ÿ™‚

Map - Zoom in on satellite view and see Don't really see any issues with this route in either Direction.

If you are coming up from Colorado - I would suggest you head to Shoshoni from Casper on RT 20 and drive the Wind River Canyon to Thermopolis and on up from there - Just Beautiful.

Enjoy the Drive,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wind can really howl thru that canyon on 16 and we just about froze in July last year. Very scenic tho and if you are a fan of a certain mystery series there is Ten Sleep.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what you are driving. 14 heading west from Burgess Junction down to Shell can get exciting in a big rig. Using 14A from Burgess Junction down to Lovell will really get your heart pumping and your knuckles a whole nuther shade of white. 16 isn't a problem no matter the direction or the size of your rig. And yes, there can be snow at elevation in May.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams