cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

92 Fleetwood Souithwind - opinions

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Local seller has a 92 Fleetwood Southwind (not sure of exact model/length) with a Chevrolet engine and Banks Power. It looks well maintained but has no upgrades from factory.

Reefer is original, still has 2 tiny TV's, etc.

Any opinions on this gem?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
5 REPLIES 5

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm on a P3X chassis. It does not have the autopark system (thank god). The RV's overall weight will determine if it comes with the autopark system.

When I purchased the RV it was just shy of 45,XXX miles (US) and had the roof redone, exhaust manifolds redone. The generator (Micro4K) had only 346hrs. Everything in the house worked perfect and was not molested with hacks of any sort.

I've since then replaced most if not all the engine electrical items such as TPS, MAP sensor, IAC, Idle control solenoid, Purge valve. Frt./Rear VSS sensors, Trans shift solenoids, Trans wire harness connector, O2 Sensor, T-stat, Radiator hoses, by-pass hose, New auxiliary fan, New fan relay, New ignition switch, Full axle rebuild, New fridge, New LP regulator, New ICM and pick up coil, New spark plug wires, plugs, cap, rotor, New house batteries, new chassis battery etc...(likely forgot some other items...LOL!)

That was all replaced before waiting for one or more of them to fail at an unlikely time (on the road). PM work is what will save you from an unfortunate event on the road. The 454 TBI is a very reliable engine and relatively easy to work on. Mine also does not have any air pumps(smog ****).
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Check the actual current weight versus the GVWR. Without substantial upgrades, the older Chevys sit notoriously low on the suspension and have very low live load capacity, but, decent tow capacity.

Chum lee

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx, guys!
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A 92 probably has the AutoPark system for locking the driveline while parked. They can be a pain but, parts are available and it can be repaired if not working properly.

You said it has Banks Power. Does that include the Banks exhaust manifolds? That would be a desirable upgrade from factory equipment.

If you look at the rig make sure it doesn't roll when it is in Park.
And, listen for 'ticking' when the engine is running. It could indicate an exhaust leak, especially if it's the original exhaust manifolds.

I have a 96 Southwind, GM chassis, the original refrigerator is still working.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Get a professional inspection or practice due discretion and educate yourself on water intrusion before buying but I would recommend a professional inspection, they will find stuff you never dreamed of.

The 'Gem' could be a lump of coal as well.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB