Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Running the generator while driving
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Running the generator while driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SteveWoz wrote:

turbojimmy wrote:

I know this is a redundant reply but yes - I do it all the time without issue. It's made to be run while in motion - or at any time for that matter.

Perfect! Thanks!

I should have mentioned that my rig is "vintage" and does not have dash A/C, so running the generator is a must while traveling in the summer. It also has 30A service, so the only way to run both A/Cs is with the generator. Even with all the glass in the cab, with both A/Cs running it gets COLD in there.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only way we could keep the Moho cool a few times. Hard to keep 36 feet cool in 107* in late August in Lompoc....lol.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Year around at least once a month I will run the Genny while moving CG to CG (Campground).

If it's hot enough the dash air is of little effect so I fire it up for ROOF air as well.. No problem so long as I'm moving right along. NOW if I'm stuck in stop and go it may set off the CO alarm or rather it used to (I think I fixed it).

WHEN PARKED.. Consider a device called a Gen-Turi.

Moves the exhaust fumes CO included up up up and above the roof. and since they are HOT (Well very warm having been diluted at this point) they keep right on going UP and UP.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of people have residential refrigerators in their RV and don't have much choice but to run the generator while driving.

Kennyg

Green bay, Wi 54303

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tried running both the house AC off the generator and the AC truck at the same time. After about an hour the truck battery trouble light came on and stayed that way until I turned off the house AC and turned off the house generator. Trouble light immediately went off. Any ideas??

Kennyg

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bet we run our generator 90% of the time on the road. When the dog starts panting the air conditioning is on..

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

A lot of people have residential refrigerators in their RV and don't have much choice but to run the generator while driving.

I think all the new ones have an inverter that will run off the house batteries. Those will be charged by the engine and/or solar panel.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

Not necessarily. Every MH I've seen, with a residential fridge, uses an inverter that uses battery power to run it and the alternator keeps the batteries charged while driving.
So no need to run the generator.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kennyg wrote:

Tried running both the house AC off the generator and the AC truck at the same time. After about an hour the truck battery trouble light came on and stayed that way until I turned off the house AC and turned off the house generator. Trouble light immediately went off. Any ideas??

That's odd - they're isolated systems, or should be anyway. All I can figure is that the trouble light might have been due to too much voltage rather than low battery. Might have been charging from the house and the truck alternator (a properly functioning isolator Would prevent this). Just a wild guess tho.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last summer while coming home from the Black Hills, our engine AC clutch went out. I fired up the genny and the roof air and we stayed comfy all the way home! I run it any time it is so hot that the dash air won't keep up!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Running the generator while driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS