Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Running the generator while driving
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Running the generator while driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Oklahoma City and go to Oshkosh, WI every year. It's a 2 day trip for me. I start the generator when I leave my house of a morning and don't shut if off till I'm set up in the campground the next day in the afternoon. I stop for the night somewhere about 2/3 of the way. Then do the same thing when headed home.

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, 2007 Honda VTX 1300R, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Ventera. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flint Michigan area.. parker's propane on Carpenter RD and DORT

Tekonsha MI .. Carmichael's Propane 3635 14 Mile road 48082 NOTE this one is "out in the sticks" and can be kind of hard to find for most.. Easy for me though.. (I grew up on a what used to be a dairy farm. Today its' a Tank Farm).

Most anywhere Flying-J has propane
Many LOVE's stations now have propane as well

Many others

IN South Carolina I usually go to ACE hardware but the local Loves had good prices as well.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Kennyg

Green bay, Wi 54303

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbojimmy wrote:

Kennyg wrote:

Tried running both the house AC off the generator and the AC truck at the same time. After about an hour the truck battery trouble light came on and stayed that way until I turned off the house AC and turned off the house generator. Trouble light immediately went off. Any ideas??

That's odd - they're isolated systems, or should be anyway. All I can figure is that the trouble light might have been due to too much voltage rather than low battery. Might have been charging from the house and the truck alternator (a properly functioning isolator Would prevent this). Just a wild guess tho.

Thanks for the response. something to think about. How do I check?

Kennyg

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's why the motorhome has a genset, to cool the house while driving, or parking enroute. Otherwise it is rarely run, I tend to stop at places with adequate AC service to run air conditioning.

I do shut it off at filling stations, as it is on the same side as the gasoline fill. I also shut off fridge and water heater, while they are on the opposite side, that doesn't mean the person at the pump across from me isn't going to do something stupid and dump a few gallons of gas on the pavement.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Running the generator while driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.