cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slideout cable system vs

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
On our present fiver we have a cable system to open and close the slides, works fine, but I just get this feeling that the cable is going to snap or the brackets will pull out of the slide. This is our first cable system. I've read that the cable is of high quality steel, but I just don't trust it or the brackets. How long have you had this system and any problems?
from the old school
rich
6 REPLIES 6

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Based on my experience and some testimonial from RV repair people, the weak link may not be the cable. Our bedroom slide is cable driven and stopped working on a trip. When we returned home, we called out a local RV repair service. They immediately assumed it was the connecting shaft between the electric motor and the pulley wheels. It was indeed a approximately 2" long square shaft that did not look too sturdy. The repair people even called it the "weak link" since they have seen it fail so frequently. As it turned out, that piece was OK and the problem turned out to be the gear box between the drive motor and the cable pulley wheels. The gears inside just failed for some reason.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
newman fulltimer wrote:
Bal accuslide is the best slide system out there .The cable is a aircraft grade cable you can buy replacements on amazon or eBay if needed
Aircraft Grade? Fat Chance. More likely made in China grade.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Bal accuslide is the best slide system out there .The cable is a aircraft grade cable you can buy replacements on amazon or eBay if needed

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
We have the BAL Accuslide cable system on out bedroom slide (the other two are big ones and use rack and pinion). After ten years and lots of trips in and out there has been only one problem and that was when the tip (mushroom) pulled off of one cable. The slide continued to work. I found replacement cable sets on Amazon and fixed it myself using 1/8" cable clamps instead of the supplied crimp anchors.

I carry a spare cable, but don't really think I'll ever need it. The one that failed seems to have just been within the 1% manufacturing error rate.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
While you wait for the other opinions, you may want to watch this just for an overview on the slide systems and the reasons behind them.
Slides
thanks, great video, put my mind at ease a little.
rich

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
While you wait for the other opinions, you may want to watch this just for an overview on the slide systems and the reasons behind them.
Slides