Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Solar and Lifeline
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar and Lifeline

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi y’all
First thanks to all who have tried to help with this project
I finally got my Renogy system up and running. 4 -100 watt panels on the roof. 30amp mppt controller, 2000w pure sine wave inverter charger. I finished off with 4 - 6v Lifeline deep cycles, wired series parallel to have 2 - 12v batteries. Purchased in December, man I was all excited, ready to go! Then I started using them. I’m soooo disappointed! At first they seemed fine. Then I put a small load on them. A few l e d light bulbs, a propane detector, the fridge on 12v service and an antenna amplifier. Ran the a/c tv, 160w for about a minute and the voltage plummeted. I don’t have the numbers because I didn’t worry about it at first, but the batteries have not performed well since. Lifeline tells me I need an additional 400 w solar, or I need a new charger that will equalize to 15+ v using the generator. Even after running the gen for 15 hours and charging to 100% according to the monitor and 13.4v according to the meter they will drop to 12.4 to 12.7 in a matter of a couple of hours tops. If I run the heater overnight the voltage drops to 12.3 to 12.0. My 2 Walmart 12v deep cycles outperformed these things!
Sorry for the long post but what are your systems doing and what do you think the problem might be? Any help would be really appreciated. I bought a couple of gallons of gasoline today incase I need to relieve some frustration!

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

Hi y’all
First thanks to all who have tried to help with this project
I finally got my Renogy system up and running. 4 -100 watt panels on the roof. 30amp mppt controller, 2000w pure sine wave inverter charger. I finished off with 4 - 6v Lifeline deep cycles, wired series parallel to have 2 - 12v batteries. Purchased in December, man I was all excited, ready to go! Then I started using them. I’m soooo disappointed! At first they seemed fine. Then I put a small load on them. A few l e d light bulbs, a propane detector, the fridge on 12v service and an antenna amplifier. Ran the a/c tv, 160w for about a minute and the voltage plummeted. I don’t have the numbers because I didn’t worry about it at first, but the batteries have not performed well since. Lifeline tells me I need an additional 400 w solar, or I need a new charger that will equalize to 15+ v using the generator. Even after running the gen for 15 hours and charging to 100% according to the monitor and 13.4v according to the meter they will drop to 12.4 to 12.7 in a matter of a couple of hours tops. If I run the heater overnight the voltage drops to 12.3 to 12.0. My 2 Walmart 12v deep cycles outperformed these things!
Sorry for the long post but what are your systems doing and what do you think the problem might be? Any help would be really appreciated. I bought a couple of gallons of gasoline today incase I need to relieve some frustration!

What kind of "fridge on 12v service"? If it's an absorption fridge with propane/DC/AC, that may be your greatest battery killer right there. It takes a huge amount of 12VDC power to heat the gas on the 12V setting. At least it used to when I had a Dometic in my Roadtrek. The Atwood in the Sunstar didn't have a 12V setting, just gas and 120VAC. Your 400W of solar in decent sun should give you between 20 and 25 amps of recharge, so that should probably keep up with your other usage, unless I'm missing something. Entirely possible.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you been following the instructions in 5.4 and 5.5 here?

Extremely hard to do with just solar with short days and low sun until summer when solar gets better.

http://lifelinebatteries.com/wp-content/........0101-Rev-E-Lifeline-Technical-Manual.pdf

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys!
It is an absorption fridge and I should have expressed it as running on propane.
BFL13 thanks for the link!!!! No one ever mentioned it to me. Not the dealer I bought the batteries from or the Lifeline techs. Sun has been really good most days. I put off asking because of that but living in south Louisiana the sun has already gotten fairly intense.
Thanks y’all!

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

!2.7 volts is fully charged. Dropping to between 12.4 and 12.7 with a 15 amp load sounds completly normal to me.

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like running the AC is taking down your batteries.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Figure out what your loads are. I have the same amount of batteries and a virtually identical solar setup and I have plenty of power. Loaded voltage doesn't tell you the state of charge, of course the voltage is going to be a bit lower when you're pulling from the battery. Don't over discharge your batteries, keep them full of water, and enjoy your free power. I'm not sure what controller you're using, but mine equalizes every 30 days automatically. I have had no issues with my batteries and they're always 100% charged when I go to take the trailer somewhere.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

At first they seemed fine. Then I put a small load on them.
What is "at first?"

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

campigloo wrote:

At first they seemed fine. Then I put a small load on them.
What is "at first?"

At first is when I initially hooked them into the system. I bought them in December but don’t have an exact date or time. The batteries were brand new and installed within two hours of picking them up from the store into a fully functioning solar charge system. I don’t know how long they sat in the store but I was notified of their arrival to the store within 4 days of ordering and I picked them up the next day.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twodownzero thanks for the encouragement! They’re agm batteries so no need to add water. Just add a charge and everything should be fine, but that ain’t hapnin for me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar and Lifeline
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.