Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2018 F350 CB Antenna Front Bumper Mount
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2018 F350 CB Antenna Front Bumper Mount

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If you want more power, just get a 100-watt amp. That will work a whole lot better than so-called peaking a stock set.
And get a better mic. The stock mic is usually marginal.

This is true because you can't tune a stock radio to 100 watts..A power mike can also work wonders and last but not least is the antenna..Finding a tech to properly tune a radio that has the right equipment is tough..There's alot of so called tuners out there that can do more harm to your radio than good..

I have a hard time leaving anything stock when it's capable of more..These days I am into rooting cell phones and using high db boosters to get out where no one else can back in the hills..Same things apply on cell phones,not all cell radio's are created equal for reception but like a CB,it's just easier to hook it up to a high DB amplifier than mess with the internals...However,if you have the knowledge to mess with the internals,it can make a huge difference or if you don't,it can brick your phone beyond recovery and-make it an expensive paper weight.

Putting a CB antenna on a truck with a camper is tough if your looking for the best performance..While I have two Cobra CB's,I just haven't come up with the best way for me to have one in the truck and one in the TC..I guess it really doesn't matter since most talk in camp would be to my portable CB walkie talkies.

I have a Firestick fiberglass whip antenna that looks like Brad's but I am just not sure where to put it...Thinking hood mount on the passengers side if there is enough coax...My magnetic antenna on the roof with a metal plane worked very well but I kept knocking it off with tree branches and limbs and that's why I am going to do something like Brad,just not in the middle,one side or the other for my eyes.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do new Cobras and Unidens still use the old 02A PLL chip that’s so easy to short pins on for “funny channels” ? I haven’t kept up with this stuff for years, cell phones pretty much ended the CB heyday.
I still have one that goes up to 28.045 (which would be “channel 104” if they were supposed to go that high.
I’ve even still got a real American made CB, a 1977 Sonar that uses tubes but has solid state frequency control. And a D-104 microphone I bought new in 1981.
But... there’s just nothing to do with the stuff these days. The people at the other end are gone.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Do new Cobras and Unidens still use the old 02A PLL chip that’s so easy to short pins on for “funny channels” ? I haven’t kept up with this stuff for years, cell phones pretty much ended the CB heyday.

I haven't either..My CB's are the two I kept out of my log trucks years ago and have set in the shed next to my old bag phone that is useless now...Taxing my memory doesn't work like it used too.(laughing)

About the only reason I still have interest in CB's is not having a log truck run me over and use around camp..I tried all the so-called 40 mile two way radio's and saw that a simple 40 channel CB Walkie Talkie does better most of the time,especially if one needs help..

CB's still have there place as long as the truckers use them calling out mile markers on back roads for me..Other than that,I have moved on into the more spendy cell phone hacking to reach out and communicate at long distances in the mountains.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Yes both the export radios and amplifiers are illegal, but so is having a CB radio that will do more than 4 watts.

The 4 watt limit is on AM carrier, it is not a measure of peak modulation.

So-called "export radios" and amplifiers are not illegal, it's using them on the CB bands that is illegal. And, as I said earlier, and others have stated here as well, improving your antenna system will do more for your performance than any amount of power increase.

Airstreamer67

Pineville, LA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a CB radio mostly on long highway trips so I can trade road reports with the truckers on Channel 19. I've saved a lot of time and avoided a lot of aggravation through the years hearing about wrecks or other traffic stoppages up ahead that I was able to avoid via information from the truckers.

Since I tow a travel trailer with an F250 truck, I can put the magnet-mount Wilson 1000 antenna on top of the cab, which is the best possible position for best overall performance.

However, when I use a CB off-road in my Jeep Wrangler that has a fiberglass or canvas top or no top at all, I plant a magnet-mount Wilson 1000 antenna on the hood. That position allows good signal distribution as it is relatively centered over the metal engine mass and body, although admittedly it is not quite as good as it would on the roof.

As far as being bothered by the thin antenna in my field of view when driving the Jeep, no problems. Your mind quickly ignores that little bitty wire as you concentrate on driving the vehicle. Otherwise, what do those guys do who drive the old trucks that had split front windows and a big center bar?

I've had great results with the 11 meter CB band. Today, it is a shadow of what it was 20 years ago, being mostly a specialized tool for truckers but also useful for off-roaders and those who like to talk to other enthusiasts a few states or even countries away when atmospheric conditions are favorable. Admittedly, it is not the ubiquitous toy it once was in popular culture, yielding that job to the cell phone, smart phone, Sirius radio, and other modern devices so popular today.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2018 F350 CB Antenna Front Bumper Mount
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.