cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer and truck ride height

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
I know I’m close to level, but I’d really like to get the 5er spot on level. I think the rear axle and tires would thank me and I’d feel better about it. I also think I might want to add some air bags to my truck to take out the squat. My problem is, the B&W companion hitch is at its lowest setting and the Reece pin box is at its highest. I have no other way to adjust that I’m aware of. So I’m thinking about putting spacers on my Dexter torsion axles to raise the trailer 2 or 3 inches. If I’m correct, this would allow me to lower the nose of the trailer to level and also allow me to add air bags to my truck if I decide to do that. Right now my trailer to truck bed rail clearance is about 5”, I’d feel a lot better if I could get 6” or even 7” of clearance. So let’s here it from you experienced experts and help this newbie out. Below is a pic of where I’m currently at. Oh and does anyone know what spacers I would need? I have tandem 5,000 lb axles, Dexter model #5957430. Or am I over reacting and everything looks fine as is.

These are the axles I have.

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

15 REPLIES 15

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mxdad777 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Go to the scales along the highway and weigh each axle or go to a truck stop. You may be surprised at how much more the RV's rear axle weighs. Your truck appears to be riding rear low or is that an optical contusion?

The TV is squatting slightly. I’m thinking about getting air bags for my truck.

If you add bags only add enough air to make the truck level. Don’t go around towing AZZ high like so many do.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Go to the scales along the highway and weigh each axle or go to a truck stop. You may be surprised at how much more the RV's rear axle weighs. Your truck appears to be riding rear low or is that an optical contusion?

The TV is squatting slightly. I’m thinking about getting air bags for my truck.

2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
I hooked it back up and have 6.5” of clearance between the truck bed rails and the bottom of the trailer. I was very happy to see that because I was thinking I only had around 5”. So other than the 5er having its nose a little higher than the front, I think I’m going to leave it and see how it tows. Thanks again for the help.

2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I’m going to hook it back up and take another measurement on the clearance between the truck bed rails and the trailer. After more research and reading your replies, I think this is my biggest concern especially since a few of the parks we like to frequent are on a hill and there are a few turns where you go from a hill to flat rather quickly. I don’t want to be damaging either the truck or 5er.

2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
For those that missed it, the OP has torsion axles, no springs. While larger tires/wheels may help a little, clearance there, may also be a problem, just going from picture.

Jerry

yeah, totally missed that. Its a much easier fix than with those axles, bring it to a truck shop and have them add a spacer between the frame and axle mounting arm.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I wouldn't touch it but the bottom line would be how does it tow? Does your truck have spacers at the rear axle? I had the spacers on my truck removed this winter and that gave me about 1 1/2" improvement in my trailer level.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
For those that missed it, the OP has torsion axles, no springs. While larger tires/wheels may help a little, clearance there, may also be a problem, just going from picture.

Jerry

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
My older unit I had to add a 1-1/2 block on the axels. This raised the whole trailer worked perfect

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
what size wheel and tire does your trailer have?

you might be able to go to a slightly taller tire - also, is there any adjustment left on your spring hangers?

You can add a correct track equalizer setup and those will give you some additional height on the 5er side.

i know with mine, i went from 225/75R15 tires on 15" wheels up to a LT215/85R16 on 16" wheel and this gained me a full inch of lift on the trailer side - i also was able to more to a lower spring hanger hole and that gained me another inch of height. I took it one step further and bought 2" mounting blocks to replace the factory 3.5" blocks on the back of my F350 - all of this together gives me a nice and level setup.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
To get a little more bed rail clearance, add air bags to your truck and level the trailer you are likely going to have to lift your trailer at least 5 inches which might make it look worse, cause issues with your stair height and introduce more stress on your frame rails when turning sharp. I'd be tempted to leave it alone.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not be concerned about the slight nose-high. It is the 5"s of bed rail clearance that is more of an issue. Then if you level the truck (air bags), you may end up with less clearance, unless you raise the hitch, making the nose-high worse.

I see lift kits available for Dexter torsion axles. Looks to be a possible option, to gain a couple inches. I would give Dexter a call, give them your axle number, explain situation to their tech, and ask their opinion on these lift kits.

Jerry

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
I think your ride height is fine the way it is. That being said, you do have a slight squat in the TV, and the trailer is the slightest bit high in front. So, it isn’t broke but, a lift in the axles and airbags would do the trick and normalize any irregularity. Just don’t sacrifice stability on the trailer with the spacers.

My truck has factory air ride. So, loaded, the truck levels to preloaded height (with the natural rake) and I have an alternate ride height option if need be (no squat but level). Look for bags you can adjust yourself.

Happy Campin’
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't fix what ain't broke.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV