cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24 to 29 Foot TT...Does Size Matter That Much?

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Team,

We are in the market for a TT. We want to stay below 30 feet. So we are looking in the 24 to 29 foot range. In general, we have found they fall into these three classes:

24 to 25 Feet TT: Dinette, Bath, Queen bed

26 to 27 Feet TT: Dinette, Bath, Queen Bed + More Room

28 to 29 feet TT: Dinette, Bath, Queen Bed, + More Room, + Extra Seating (coach, chairs, etc.)

There are slight variations on this but in general the above generalization serves for the purpose of my question.

It seems, within a product line, going from 25 to 29 feet does not appreciable increase weight.

So we have rationalized that, if we are at considering a 25 feet TT, we might as well add 4 feet and get "More Room + extra seating (coach, chairs, etc.)".

Finally to my question. Does the difference in size (4 to 5 feet) when towing matter that much? Do you all find the maneuverability, fitting in campgrounds, etc. much different for a 24/25 foot TT from a 28/29 foot TT?

Thanks for your time and inputs.
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.
19 REPLIES 19

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
cruz-in wrote:
Hi Team,

We are in the market for a TT. We want to stay below 30 feet. So we are looking in the 24 to 29 foot range. In general, we have found they fall into these three classes:

24 to 25 Feet TT: Dinette, Bath, Queen bed

26 to 27 Feet TT: Dinette, Bath, Queen Bed + More Room

28 to 29 feet TT: Dinette, Bath, Queen Bed, + More Room, + Extra Seating (coach, chairs, etc.)

There are slight variations on this but in general the above generalization serves for the purpose of my question.
within a product line, going from 25 to 29 feet does not appreciable increase weight.

So we have rationalized that, if we are at considering a 25 feet TT, we might as well add 4 feet and get "More Room + extra seating (coach, chairs, etc.)".

Finally to my question. Does the difference in size (4 to 5 feet) when towing matter that much? Do you all find the maneuverability, fitting in campgrounds, etc. much different for a 24/25 foot TT from a 28/29 foot TT?

Thanks for your time and inputs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some older campgrounds and National parks have more smaller spots than larger.
If you have towed much, size want make that much difference turning, and backing.

I went the other way. We went from 30' to 20'. And the one I just rebuilt has no slide. My reasoning is that we don't stay in our camper much during the day,
and there are only my wife and I.
Unless it's storming, I cook outside and we enjoy outside activities, so,
I set up a Fly Tent to cook under, and sometimes nap under too.
Life's too short to stay in a camper when you can be hiking, fishing, or just visiting.

My best advise to everybody... Buy what you want. If you want a large camper,
buy it, same for a smaller camper. Enjoy.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on the intended use. My 25ft, is perfect for me and my wife and 60 lb. dog. We can wind through city streets hunting quilt or gun shops. I can park it at almost any RV park, State or private. When loaded for the road, the tongue weight and TV cargo fall just short of the max cargo for the TV. And, I am nowhere near the towing capacity of the tow vehicle,

I am sure others would find it too small.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
To me, it does matter. My approach is to get the smallest unit that provides what we think we need. Example: I wanted to keep to around 27 ft. for a motorhome but found that less than 29 or 30, probably can't get the big 3- dinette, couch and permanent walk-around bed. Also, looking used we found a great 30 footer. But, getting older I will stick to 27 or less if we get another one. It matters in lots of small ways.
Jayco-noslide

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first TT was a 20 footer. Could easily tow it up and down the lanes in a Walmart parking lot and even park it end to end. First trip out to a local CG only a few miles away was a white knuckle,sweaty palm experience.

Now have a 29 footer. Length no big deal. Mostly just a different "feel" to it that you get used to fairly quickly. It's actually a little easier to back up. Try backing up a lawn tractor with a little trailer behind it. Have never once had an issue getting in/out of a gas station or finding a spot in a CG. You can def. feel the extra weight but a non-issue with the right tow vehicle. If we have to stop for groceries somewhere, we go straight out to the very back of their lot. I love towing this thing and there's no place I won't take it!

I would say with a longer trailer it's all the more important that you address all the things that can reduce sway and improve handling - tire pressure, WDH type, WDH adjustment, TT level to slightly nose down, etc. We have zero sway and feels like a sports car on twisty mountain roads at speed. 🙂

Going to 29 footer gave us all the things we wanted like large walk-in shower, slide with sofa, bedroom with door, large kitchen counter (rear kitchen model), large closet in living area and a few more that our 20 footer didn't have. Major improvement in creature comfort. 🙂

'Course, no TT can remained untouched from the factory. Have done many mods and as far as creature comfort goes, the Harrison double recliner with power recline is #1. Better than what's at home, lol. To watch TV in our little 20 footer, either had to sit upright on a dinette seat or in bed. Got tired of that pretty quick.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
When we first upgraded from a 24'(21' box) to our first 29'(26' box) trailer, it was like night and day the difference in livability. The extra length was very easy to adjust for and we didn't notice any difference in the places we could get in.
The only thing was now we had more space to accumulate junk! :B
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would say get the floor plan that best meets your needs. Towing will not be significantly different between a 24' to 29'. It might take a little more awareness around fuel stations and tight places.

Campgrounds-This will depend on where you plan on using the TT. Smaller older state parks and some national parks have limited spaces for larger trailers. The smaller the camper you will always have more options.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the West, a 24 foot trailer (inclduing tongue) fits a lot of places that larger trailers don't.

Everything you need is included in a 24 foot trailer. Larger trailers often add a couch. Then theymight some chairs. They might add bunks. If you travel with a crowd extra room is important. For 2 people it is not. Now I have a 24 foot trailer with a Murphy bed which includes a couch.

Live aboard boaters have an old saying:
6 for cocktails
4 for dinner
2 for overnight.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
everyone's wants and needs are different but my 2 cents are look for the floor plan you think you will be happy with. our first TT was 33ft tongue to bumper, 1 living room slide, current TT is 37ft. with 3 slides. rear living, large shower etc tons of room just the wife and i plus 4 small dogs. most would say thats more room than you need. we love being outside the camper but we "glamp" on weekends 12 months a year. there are times when its extremely cold, extremely hot, or raining so its nice to have inside room to chillax. not hard to back or tow you just have to have room. we stay at state parks and campgrounds and never had a problem finding a site, but we do book reservations well in advance.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's harder for me to back up my little 8' utility trailer than it is to backup my 22' TT.. Towing straight, no difference other than the weight difference.

I find it easier to backup with the mirrors with either trailer.

As far as size and living space goes for a TT, I've had the same little 22' TT for over 17 years (the actual cabin is only 19') now and it's served our purpose with many mods along the way over the years..

Walk around queen bed up front. Full width bath in the back. (shower/tub converted to storage since it is useless for us with our style of camping and I don't fit in it anyway.) and the middle is kitchen and what used to be a dinette is now just a long bench. (one of the many mods made over the years)

So, we camp different than most, and most camp different than we do, but we don't "live" in the trailer by any means, so there is the difference for us.

We only do long weekend trips and just 2 of us so more than enough room..

Passed a couple today towing a little tiny Scamp trailer with a Subaru Forester and it looked fine and I'm sure they are headed for a great trip...

My folks have a huge 30' fifth wheel that is bigger than my first apartment when I moved out of the house and they are not able to camp anymore and offered it to me for FREE.. Just no way I need or want that much trailer and no way to store it or tow it with the existing truck either, so no way.. told them to sell it for whatever they can get and use the money for whatever..

In the end, just gotta do what you gotta do that works best for you and enjoy!

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were looking at BIG 5th wheels... couldn't afford to spend the money yet, and then stumbled on this little 192 RBS. It's called a couples trailer and it really is exactly that. No dinette, which is ok, we never eat inside at a table. Extra space in general isn't generally usable extra space anyway. The only two things I'd like to have, larger fridge and a bigger shower.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The shorter your TT the easier it drives and maneuvers, and the more campsites you can use. Your choice. I chose a 22 box for campsite maneuvering. Driving a bigger unit wouldn’t have bothered me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Cruz-in,
Great question and well put! We are in the shopping mode, too. We start with a 24/26 ft. w/ queen walked around dinette and bath, but want more. Thus a 29ft, total fits our wants better, but will I enjoy towing? This is our third TT, 27 Jayco bunk house has been our longest. Please post More on towing the difference between these size TT, with the appropriate tow vehicle.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I went the other way from a 27ft to a 21?ft. Sure we lost some living area
but I much prefer the shorter TT to the longer;

If you're the type that goes to a campground and stays there, then the longer
TT will be better but I tend to stay in a place to 1 or 2 nights and then
move again (usually state/national parks), so for me the shorted TT works
best for travelling the back-roads and getting into/out of camp sites.

Also - I did a 5,000 mile trip in Jan/Feb, the decrease in weight made towing
a much more pleasurable experience.
Gerry

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 30' to a 26'. Barely tell any difference towing, backing is not much different either.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP