cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Directv Sattelite Question

califasrams
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking installing the Winegard Traveler SK SWM3 for Directv satellite on our coach. Will I be able to use my Directv home boxes in our trailer when we travel? If not, what's your recommendation for setting up service?
Califasrams
2005 Chevy 2500 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2013 Coachmen Brookstone 367L
4 REPLIES 4

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
bigdon68 wrote:
Eliminate the Satellite Dish.

I had a portable winegard Dish for 10 years. Had Dish network for the service provider.

Besides the cost it just got to be a big hastle with Dish Network everytime we arrived a a new site and began setup.

I AM NOW STREAMING JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING.

Our DRV 5th wheel does have a HD Antenna and that pulls in a lot of stations.
In addition we purchased an ATT Velocity Hotspot. With my laptop and the Hotspot I stream just about everything through the Xfinity service that we have. Since I have Xfinity at home and have programs recorded with our DVR we can view those thru the Xfinity streaming site.

We love it. The ATT Hotspot also gives us a portable hotspot in the truck and wherever else we go.

Don
Maryland

Don,

Thats fine in more populated locales, but often we camp where cell service is spotty, ie slow at best. Also, for those like us who have satellite service at home, other than the cost of the dish, there is no monthly additional fee's. I know that it is technically against the T&C's for Directv, but we are only at one place or the other, not both at the same time, so no one is "ripping off" DirecTV by having it active in both places at once.

My cell hotspot on my Verizon unlimited plan, on the other hand maxes out at 20Gb tethering per month before being throttled.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
Eliminate the Satellite Dish.

I had a portable winegard Dish for 10 years. Had Dish network for the service provider.

Besides the cost it just got to be a big hastle with Dish Network everytime we arrived a a new site and began setup.

I AM NOW STREAMING JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING.

Our DRV 5th wheel does have a HD Antenna and that pulls in a lot of stations.
In addition we purchased an ATT Velocity Hotspot. With my laptop and the Hotspot I stream just about everything through the Xfinity service that we have. Since I have Xfinity at home and have programs recorded with our DVR we can view those thru the Xfinity streaming site.

We love it. The ATT Hotspot also gives us a portable hotspot in the truck and wherever else we go.

Don
Maryland
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, if your home receivers are also SWM, otherwise additional equipment may be required.

I move our HR44 SWM only receiver between home and MH with RF Mogul dish.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, without a problem. Just remember once you get outside of the spot beam you will loose your local channels.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint