Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Front end wobble after hitting a bump
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Front end wobble after hitting a bump

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
knied1

home

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2005 Daymon Day break. the Chassis is a 2004 F53.
I have new sway bar bushing in the rear (front ones looked recently replaced) I did do the Cheep Handling Fix on the front end. all tires are in excellent condition, and have proper air pressure.

On two different times taking the RV out imedialty after hitting a bump on the passenger side front wheel I felt a very substantial wobble in both the front tires, and the steering wheel. when it happens, it almost feels like the camper is un controllable, I hit the brakes and after slowing down it goes away. the first time I thought I blew a front tire, but after checking there was no tire issues, and I proceeded on without any other issues. the second time it happened only about 5 minutes from the house, and I continued on without issues to our camp spot about an hour away.
I have already changed the sway bar bushing in the rear end, and even though the fronts look newer, I have ordered new fronts as well. when they come in I will replace them too.
I understand that the bushings are most likely not the issue, but changing them cant hurt.

I believe the issue is with the steering stabilizer/damper, but I`m looking to see if anyone else has had this issue, before I just start throwing parts at it.

the unit does also seem to have a fair amount of wander when I drive, but that also could be because I've only driven a Class A 4 times, and need to get used to it.

Thanks for any help.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Divergent front-end shimmy is a well known symptom which is not easy to explain.
The first thing I will say about it is that whenever I had to diagnose this condition, I would FIRST make sure that the front axle always had sufficient weight loading on it such that it would result in producing a high level of caster authority. If your vehicle has too short of a wheelbase, coupled with a long rear overhang, it's very possible that under certain road and speed combinations you might experience divergent front-end shimmy.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd check the play in the tie rod ends and every other joint and kingpins on the frontend. Once that shimmy starts it perpetuates itself. Slowing down is the only way I know of stopping it. It's sounds like there's something loose on your frontend. How many miles on that chassis?

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

knied1

home

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

I'd check the play in the tie rod ends and every other joint and kingpins on the frontend. Once that shimmy starts it perpetuates itself. Slowing down is the only way I know of stopping it. It's sounds like there's something loose on your frontend. How many miles on that chassis?

The Chassis has about 35,000 miles on it.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Death wobble. The primary cause is loose balljoints/kingpins. A damper might mask it, but it isn't a solution.

If your balljoints are new and you still have death wobble, add some toe-in on the front and it'll probably go away.

Every one of our front ends live on the edge of stability. Even a small amount of wear can cause big problems.

If everything is tight, it won't wobble even without a damper.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The F53 uses kingpins. With only 35k miles, it hard to believe it's worn out but like you said, the only time I've ever experienced a wobble/shimmy like that is because of a "loose" frontend. I'd have a truck shop check it out.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree something is loose in the front end. I have antique cars and have had that problem. In each case I found a loose component. One was a tie rod end and the other was a drag link end. I fixed them and the problem went away. The death wobble is a scary thing to have happen! If you can't find it I would take it to a reliable shop and have them check it out. That may also have something to do with the wandering problem, a front end alignment may be needed.
Good Luck!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

knied1

home

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live only a few miles from a garage that has the contract to work on the local school busses........ I made an appointment for this Saturday to have them look the coach over.

Thanks to all for your input.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the shock absorbers for leaks, one or both bad can create the wobling, next time this happens step on the brakes and slow down, if it stops the shocks are shot.

navegator

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for something loose in the front end. Check all end links, drag links, tie rods, and all bushings/grease fittings. Might also check the steering box. I had a 1968 VW Beetle that would randomly go into a steering wobble...so bad that it would jerk the wheel from my hands and once almost sent me into on-coming traffic. After checking all connections, bearings, bushings, brakes, etc., ....I replaced the steering box and the problem went away.

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Front end wobble after hitting a bump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS