cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer dolly: trailervalet, parkit360, etc

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Need a dolly to maneuver TT into new carport I'm building. I want to pull it in frontways, but not have the truck in front of it. Completely flat concrete.

Been looking at the above models and others. Trailer is just under 10,000 pounds wet but it would be far below that nearly all the time.

Any experience our thoughts?
15 REPLIES 15

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
Need a dolly to maneuver TT into new carport I'm building. I want to pull it in frontways, but not have the truck in front of it. Completely flat concrete.

Been looking at the above models and others. Trailer is just under 10,000 pounds wet but it would be far below that nearly all the time.

Any experience our thoughts?

I have a 3500 lb rated electric trailer valet I used on a trailer that weighed about 2900 lbs and it moved the trailer easy and even on a small incline and even on loose gravel and dirt.

Its a remote control model and works like a tank..

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Dolly/Trailer-Valet/TVRVR3-BB225.html?feed=npn&msclkid=682293ba788d...

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
For those talking about front hitches, the reason I need a dolly is I'm pulling the trailer in head first and truck goes somewhere else. Has to do with location of driveway, house, etc.

JG
Explorer
Explorer
Dr. Blake wrote:
Update - got my trailer valet and its not going to be a viable option. My trailer is to heavy; but within specs. I like to think I am in reasonable shape but it was hard, hard work. Turning wasn't easy at all, it really bogged down.

Also - the fit and finish wasn't great. The handle stops all came out, the xl mounting bracket did not fit; I couldn't get the holes to line up because they were misaligned when drilled out.

The brake did work and could hold the trailer on flat ground. I only used it on flat ground.

Just my experience, it might be great on a lighter trailer.

Watch on YouTube "Front Trailer Hitch". I had one installed for $340 total price. Works great.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969

JG
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
I went with Parkit360. Have received it and assembled but not tried it yet (my new driveway was just poured today)

The Parkit and other do poorly on grass. Cement is ok.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went with Parkit360. Have received it and assembled but not tried it yet (my new driveway was just poured today)

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
Update - got my trailer valet and its not going to be a viable option. My trailer is to heavy; but within specs. I like to think I am in reasonable shape but it was hard, hard work. Turning wasn't easy at all, it really bogged down.

Also - the fit and finish wasn't great. The handle stops all came out, the xl mounting bracket did not fit; I couldn't get the holes to line up because they were misaligned when drilled out.

The brake did work and could hold the trailer on flat ground. I only used it on flat ground.

Just my experience, it might be great on a lighter trailer.
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)

Procrastinator
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how much storage room you have, but for I have a small Kubota tractor that I put a hitch receiver on the 3 point hitch in the rear and I use it. It will turn tighter circles than I ever could with any of my trucks. The trailer will tighter than I am willing to "scrub" my trailer tires when turn. I use the tractor all the time around the house.

With the tractor, I get to use a front bucket and mow/brush hog with and it won't have such a price drop if I ever decide to sell off everything.

Either way get a spotter, its a huge pain no seeing around the trailer when backing. One of my round to it projects is making a bar with some mirrors on it to clamp to the bucket.
2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

JG
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a front Hitch on my truck. Works great! No problems now. The Parkit360 did not do well on grass or the other mover I had bought. Cost to install was $340. Sure beats spending $2000. You can do it yourself, but I don't do that anymore.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck

smokamoto
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Trailer Valet XL manual powered with cordless drill attachment. It was just over $600 and works well, even on my 5% grade driveway. Needed it due to 2โ€ of clearance on each side of my RV gate next to my house. Also trimmed the roof eaves for room. It is only used at home.

Anyway I mounted a switch to the handle wired to the trailer brakes & use that since the Valet brake is awkward to use on a slope. Also I operate it sitting on my shop creeper stool so no bending over-a common complaint about these.

For my needs Itโ€™s paid for itself already, very happy. Only complaints are the weight of it & not able to disengage the drive mechanism while rolling it to the trailer.

Papa_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have a power caster 3 that worked great on my 7000 lb travel trailer.
Our driveway has a slight uphill at the street; no problem. But be sure to hook up the brakes; the trailer will pull the PC3 without them.
Steve

2016 GMC 2500HD duramax 4x4
2018 Cougar 311RES

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Parkit360 does not play well on grass and dirt. I have one and was using it to finish pulling the TT into the yard. I had already pulled the trailer into the yard as far as I could with the truck, unhitched then tried to finish parking it using the parkit360. The TT wheels were sinking into the turf a couple inches making it hard to move. The wheels on the parkit360 kept spinning, especially when I hit a dirt spot with no grass. I also tried standing on the parkit360 trying to see if more weight would help and the tires were still spinning.

I had to get the parkit360 onto boards so I could guide the trailer while my lawn man and a couple neighbors pushed on the trailer to finish parking it.

The trailer is btwn 5500 & 6000 lbs with the tanks empty

It should work fine on asphalt or compact gravel as long as the tires don't start digging into the gravel.

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one at our old house for our 8000lb trailer. I think it was a Power Caster. I got rid of it when we moved out to a rural area and no more "squeezing-through" needed.

If you are on level pavement it should work fine.

Make sure you have control of the trailer brakes. Mine had a connection to trailer connector so a toggle switch on the dolly control panel would activate the brakes. A trailer can build up quite a bit of momentum. Even if the ground looks level, it probably has a little slope. If the trailer is moving and you shut off the dolly, it will push the dolly, even with locked wheels on the dolly.

Also, if you get a 120V model with a power cord (like mine was), watch the cord. It's possible to be so concerned about watching the trailer sides that you run over the cord, pulling it out of the control panel. Yeah, that's what happened to me!

Steve

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
That would be terrific. Most of the reviews seem good. If installed correctly it seems like it works well.

How big is your trailer?

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought the Trailer Valet XL model; being shipped now. I'm not sure any of them are great but this one seems to be a good match for the cost. I can post when I get some real world experience.
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)