cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ontario Canada scraps travelers medical coverage

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Due to costs (what else is new) Ontario is canceling all out of country medical costs telling people to acquire (pay for) private insurance.

News article

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
12 REPLIES 12

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Is it possible to opt out of the health coverage for a tax credit and purchase health coverage on your own? SHUM 02- that's why I'm asking because I'm not familiar with your health system. It seems prohibitly expensive to go for long periods outside the country.

Its UNIVERSAL health care. No there is no credit, you can not opt out.

If you are "young" health insurance outside the country is not that bad. DW has a rider on her company insurance and we purchase additional from CAA/AAA. Obviously the older you are or if you have existing health issues it will be more expensive.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman,

While it is true the coverage does not lapse for 6 months, it would not nearly cover the costs of a hospital bed in USA.

I think the Saskatchewan "allotment" is $230 per 24 hours. Truly a pittance.

Cost for a broken leg with a plaster cast is free in SK, or if you wish a walking cast $75.00. I think in Florida it would cost a couple of grand.

Therefore, unless you wish to 'roll the dice' it is better to have extra insurance.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
Well guess what, If you travel to Mexico and get sick you are not covered by insurance either. My friend went to Cancun and had a heart attack and they wanted $45,000 up front to treat him. They did not want to hear anything about insurance, cash or credit card only.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Many Canadians come south with their temporary health plans that I believe are good for 6 months.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to opt out of the health coverage for a tax credit and purchase health coverage on your own? SHUM 02- that's why I'm asking because I'm not familiar with your health system. It seems prohibitly expensive to go for long periods outside the country.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The worst part of having additional coverage is that the companies selling it attempt to 'weasel' out of paying.

It becomes much more expensive at age 70 and goes through the roof at 75.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Isn't that purchasing health coverage twice since you already pay for coverage in taxes?
Yes.

The coverage is OUR idea of coverage, not the U.S version. Hence you absolutely do need additional coverage if anything happens to you while travelling. Even a quick cross border shopping trip can turn into a financial disaster for a Canadian without additional coverage.

Canadian Travellers
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Isn't that purchasing health coverage twice since you already pay for coverage in taxes?
Yes.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
So if you travel anywhere out of Canada on vacation you are not covered by health insurance and have to purchase private coverage?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I disagree totally.

IB853347201 wrote:
Not really a big deal. If you consider that previously Ontario would only cover a very small,insignificant portion of the out of country costs, and that you needed to purchase out of country coverage anyways, this change has almost no impact.
Regards, Don

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Not really a big deal. If you consider that previously Ontario would only cover a very small,insignificant portion of the out of country costs, and that you needed to purchase out of country coverage anyways, this change has almost no impact.
2010 Suncruiser

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go anyway. Maybe get the fly-me-home coverage.