cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12V receptacle polarity

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 12v cord for CPAP machine use in RV. Instructions state "The Shielded DC Cord is intended for use on 12 volt positive hot electrical systems. These systems might also be referred to as negative ground."
Also:
"The connector end of the DC cord is constructed so that the outside of the barrel is ground and the inside of the barrel is positive."

So I used a multimeter to test the 12v outlet in my bedroom. (I know nothing about electrical stuff.) When I touched the red probe to the center plate at back of outlet and the black probe to the barrel wall of the outlet, the multimeter showed 13.71. Then I touched the black probe to center plate and red to barrel wall and multimeter showed -13.71.

So does this mean the outlet is "positive hot", as needed for this cord to work properly?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
22 REPLIES 22

red31
Explorer
Explorer
keep the pontificating coming!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:

How did this become a thread on how to use a multi-meter. The OP used his meter correctly. Period. I'm out of this thread.

No need to get snippy.

UNLESS the test leads are PERMANENTLY attached to his meter, which is highly UNlikely, then you don't KNOW if he was doing it right or not.

The devil is in the details.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This reminds me of a movie I saw a decade or so ago. A rerun.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Ha ha ha! After the first and second response, I was outta this thread too! Thank goodness Dave5143 set me straight. I don't know what the heck the rest of you are chatting about, but sounds like you're having fun! I know this happens on alot of threads. One comment leads to another...and another...and pretty soon the respondents are talking amongst themselves.
Anyway, the leads on my multimeter are built in. I cannot change them.

thanks for sharing

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have to agree with Mex on this.. I always check to insure leads properly inserted before doing anything... I have one melted meter where something went wrong.. Problem si.. It was turned OFF stored in its carry case when it melted.. So I have no clue as to what went wrong. it's a 200 dollar_+ meter I got on sale.. Oh well. Still works.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
it must have been a miracle then how the jack polarity got reversed. Sheesh. When testing assume nothing --- ever. Two seconds of verification can eliminate a costly error. This is basic troubleshooting 101. I can stow my crystal ball now.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Ha ha ha! After the first and second response, I was outta this thread too! Thank goodness Dave5143 set me straight. I don't know what the heck the rest of you are chatting about, but sounds like you're having fun! I know this happens on alot of threads. One comment leads to another...and another...and pretty soon the respondents are talking amongst themselves.
Anyway, the leads on my multimeter are built in. I cannot change them.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I know nothing about electrical stuff

You are asssssssssssuming an awful lot after reading (those words) written by by the OP.

The hundred or so .375 ampere blown glass fuses and near equal number of fried black circuit boards I have encountered on 60+ years tells me people forget return test probes and dial settings far too often.

Cheers

How did this become a thread on how to use a multi-meter. The OP used his meter correctly. Period. I'm out of this thread.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I know nothing about electrical stuff

You are asssssssssssuming an awful lot after reading (those words) written by by the OP.

The hundred or so .375 ampere blown glass fuses and near equal number of fried black circuit boards I have encountered on 60+ years tells me people forget return test probes and dial settings far too often.

Cheers

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
SLOW DOWN

make sure the meter test leads are not reversed where they plug into the meter holes.

Then raise the hood and verify across the marked -- and + polarity battery polarity markings.

If everything checks OK but polarity us still reversed at the socket reverse the wires at the other end of the socket.

The op does not have a problem. He was asking if he diagnosed it correctly. He did. His problem was worrying about neg ground which I haven't heard for over 50 years.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
SLOW DOWN

make sure the meter test leads are not reversed where they plug into the meter holes.

Then raise the hood and verify across the marked -- and + polarity battery polarity markings.

If everything checks OK but polarity us still reversed at the socket reverse the wires at the other end of the socket.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Just bought a 12v cord for CPAP machine use in RV. Instructions state "The Shielded DC Cord is intended for use on 12 volt positive hot electrical systems. These systems might also be referred to as negative ground."
Also:
"The connector end of the DC cord is constructed so that the outside of the barrel is ground and the inside of the barrel is positive."

So I used a multimeter to test the 12v outlet in my bedroom. (I know nothing about electrical stuff.) When I touched the red probe to the center plate at back of outlet and the black probe to the barrel wall of the outlet, the multimeter showed 13.71. Then I touched the black probe to center plate and red to barrel wall and multimeter showed -13.71.

So does this mean the outlet is "positive hot", as needed for this cord to work properly?

Yes, you did exactly the right thing by using a multimeter to verify the polarity. Don't let the discussions about negative vs positive grounds confuse you.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will say again. I think it was in the 70s they started making the dash out of plastic. and often the wires on the lighter socket got "Swapped" So I built a tester... Today they usually do it right and due to the polifiration of 12 volt accessories.. I'd have to think a auto maker who wired one bass ackwards would soon be paying the lawyers big money.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
There were many positive ground trucks going into the early 70's.. It was very important to check them before installing two way radios. There were radios that had an internal plug to change them from negative to positive ground.

As mentioned, it is good to remember that the black wire of the RV is often the HOT wire and in todays units that is positive. Just don't mistake the black wire 12 volts for 110 volts AC.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008