Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Toad wobble
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Toad wobble

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
cwit

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a wrangler goes into death wobble it is because something is worn out. The Cherokee on the other hand has the electric pump and will death wobble. I have both and tow both.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cwit wrote:

If a wrangler goes into death wobble it is because something is worn out. The Cherokee on the other hand has the electric pump and will death wobble. I have both and tow both.

Not necessarily! I thought the same thing. We put on a 2.5" lift kit, and went up 2" on tire size (30" to 32"). A couple of years after having no issues, the death wobble occurred.

I had the Jeep shop check it out, they said everything was still tight, but recommended adding some toe-in. Didn't even recommend adding any upgraded steering hardware.

Then took it to the front end alignment shop I've been going to since the 80s. I told them "whatever it is, FIX IT!". They told me the same thing. Simply added toe-in. They had free reign to replace parts, but didn't. Their honesty is why they keep customers since their shop is out of the way.

PROBLEM SOLVED! That was 6 months ago. No problems driving it, or towing it.

Think about how kids are taught to ski. Tips of skis pointed inward to "snowplow" down the hill. That keeps them going straight and neither ski is trying to go a different path. Same concept with tires/steering. The downside is more tire wear, and a slight increase in rolling resistance. I drive a Jeep, and don't care about such things.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

Our Jeep Wrangler started getting the "death wobble" late last year. The first time it happened was when the Jeep was being towed behind the motorhome, on the maiden voyage with the new-to-us Class A.

Then it happened again when driving the Jeep shortly thereafter. Took it to the shop. All the front end parts are still within spec, but the steering was pretty neutral, which aggravates the condition.

The fix was simple. Add more toe-in to the alignment. Now the Jeep drives and tows perfectly. The alignment shop said that's the preferred setup they do for any vehicle that's towed behind a motorhome. I've been going to them since the 80s, and always pleased with their work.

This is some great information! I think I will have it done to my Jeep....it doesn't wobble, but I don't want it to start!

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Toad wobble
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.