cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas hwy 19?

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone taken Texas Hwy 19 from Paris to Huntsville? I’m going to hit Dallas around noon on Friday and I’m looking at a loop around.
10 REPLIES 10

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
So which way did you go? And how was it?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
If you really don't want any traffic you can go south of I-10 on 61 through Double Bayou to 124 and on to High Island. Then west on 87 along the beach on Bolivar to the ferry to Galveston. Travel trailers are OK, max length is 65ft on the ferry.
The more I think about it this may be your best choice. Should be relatively stress free.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Another suggestion...I go to Tulsa every January for the Chili Bowl and have been going this way the last 5-6 years to avoid Dallas...
Indian Nation Turnpike south out of Tulsa, to 271 at Hugo to Gadewater, 135 out of Gladewater to Kilgore, then 259 to Nacogdoches, 59 to Livingston, 146 to Liberty, 563 out of Liberty to I-10.
At this point you will have a decision to make. You have avoided all the redlights in Liberty, Dayton and Mt. Belveiu. You can either get back on 146 and go through Baytown, Kemah, Seabrook and have a bunch of redlights and traffic, or take your choice of 2 other routes. Depending on time of day, you could go west on I-10 to loop 610 and south to I-45 and Galveston. Or take I-10 west to Beltway 8 to I-45 southbound. Beltway 8 is a toll road, with no toll booths. I have an electronic pass but I bet they will be happy to mail you a bill. A slightly different way is to go west on US90 from Liberty, catch a few signals in Dayton, then straight into Houston at the intersection of I-10, 90, and 610.
If you get to Houston mid day and dont want the tolls, go the 610 route. You can get to Galveston on 146 but there are countless red lights and traffic through Kemah, Seabrook.
Good luck. I've gone from Liberty to downtown Houston Medical Center 3 times in last 4 days. I need a drank. LOL
Let us know what you do.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
I’m actually headed to Galveston from Tulsa Ok. I won’t be down that way Until the 17th of May.

If you are going to Galveston, I would consider catching TX146 at Livingston by taking US287 & US59 starting at Crockett. Take TX146 all the way to I45 south of Houston right before it crosses the causeway onto Galveston Island. You will go east of Houston and avoid a lot of heavy traffic this way.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I’m actually headed to Galveston from Tulsa Ok. I won’t be down that way Until the 17th of May.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Paris and Huntsville are both well on the east side of Dallas. Are you starting somewhere north or west of Dallas?
2017 LTV Unity

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
Anyone taken Texas Hwy 19 from Paris to Huntsville? I’m going to hit Dallas around noon on Friday and I’m looking at a loop around.

I am confused, are you getting on 19 at Paris ? It's a good road to Canton , was some construction in Emory a few weeks ago, but thru Monday All 4 lanes in Canton will be packed.
You could take 19 to I30 to Dallas then take 635 around to I45 which is good to Huntsville.

Egor_sRV
Explorer
Explorer
We normally use 19 when going from Dallas to Beaumont, but a few months ago the Highway Dept began a program of re-topping and widening several places along the route.
Along with the Canton Trade days traffic, this can make for a frustrating and rough ride along this route.
"Of all the things I have lost during my lifetime, I miss my mind the most."

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
This is First Monday Trade Days Weekend in Canton. It might be a little congested going through it.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have not been on 19, but we have found good roads in TX including most of the State, FM and Ranch roads. You could use google maps satelite view/street view and actually look at the road. If it's pavement, we would take it even if a 2 lane road. Most of those had passing lanes every 5 miles or so.