Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What will be your towing powerplant in 10-15 years ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What will be your towing powerplant in 10-15 years ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We seem to be living in a fast changing world...vehicle wise anyways. Lot of talk about how there will be no internal combustion engines available within the next 10-15 years or so, they all be zero emission electrical powered.

At this point I really don't know what is going to be available vehicle wise and although when we bought it new, we intended to trade in our 2015 gas engined vehicle in a new 2020 gas vehicle...at this point we've decided to keep what we have for a few years past 2020...just to see what shakes out in the vehicle market.

Given GM says they will introduce 20 new EV platforms in 2023 and I'm sure Ford will be there too...who knows what is going to be on the market.

I'm said to see Internal Combustion engines go...as I'm a enthusiast...but...

So my question for the day is what do you think your new tow vehicle you buy in 2030 or so...is going to be like and what will it's powerplant be ?

rbrand

Victoria, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me it will be an electric scooter.
Take a look at my profile.

The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have know idea what the future holds, to many variables.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you reside in an urban or suburban environment, chances are your daily transportation will be electric, but if you are rural, you will likely be in some hybridized form of vehicle if your not still in something akin to our trucks/cars of today.
Long distance travel will still necessitate some form of fuel which can rapidly and economically be added to vehicles not parked at a power station every 50-100 miles. Yes I know some can go farther, but the cost skyrocket faster than the readouts on the local Pilot diesel pump.

Being able to refuel will still be seen as a valuable commodity to much of the country, but the city dwellers will try their hardest to snuff out the internal combustion engine.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/19 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A hearse perhaps.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if we are driving electric trucks there will have to be some mobile method to recharge these trucks . What will that be , solar , wind , large petro fired generators , Diesel/electric today powers trains and ships .
My self I believe that there will be infernal combustion engines on the road for many , many years to come . I do not see large construction equipment stopping to recharge or farmers with acres of beans to pick stopping to recharge . I wonder what kind of truck will deliver your new Prius !

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan to keep driving my F150 until a viable EV truck or MH becomes available.
Not sure I will see it in my lifetime.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like how electric vehicles are referred to as “zero emission”. It’s like electricity grows on trees to some.

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10-15 years? Internal combustion engines aren't going anywhere. The oil industry is too big and the longevity of electric cars (both in terms of the vehicles themselves and the business model) is yet to be proven. I predict in 10 years I'll be driving something that runs on gasoline just like I have now, albeit perhaps a bit more fuel efficient.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think viable EV tow vehicles are going to be a little further out than regular EVs, barring some kind of breakthrough. Towing burns a ton of energy and a lot of campers in my part of country get towed out to primitive areas in the mountains with no services. I suppose you could put out a solar panel and exercise a great deal more patience than 5 gallon cans of extra diesel would take, but I don't know how viable that is.

As to the question of the thread, with any luck I'll still be using the Ram in my sig.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What will be your towing powerplant in 10-15 years ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS