cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When leaving for the day...

Spetres
Explorer
Explorer
This question is not particular to Class C's, but to motorhomes in general.

We do not have a tow vehicle. How do we mark the campsite as occupied when we have to leave for the day? I believe Camping World used to have a sign you could buy that said "This Campsite is taken", which they no longer sell.

What do all of you do when you have to leave for the day?
27 REPLIES 27

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
It is only posted if tag still on the post. We have seen groups of youths taking tags off and destroying them. By the time the ranger/host gets there they are long gone. ( National/State parks, Ca)

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Not sure what the problem is here. If I return to a site that I have paid for and is posted as mine regardless of what I have left behind, the trespassers are leaving in one of two ways... Immediately or in handcuffs. Heaven help them if anything of mine is missing.

I have never had this problem and probably never will but come on now folks, a little common sense and a phone call to the authorities will make this problem disappear. :S

How could it be that simple? Personally I would rather worry to no end before every trip.

At government operated campgrounds be they Fed/ACOE, State, County, etc, youalways some type of administration / enforcement available be it campground hosts, Park Rangers, etc. They may or may not be full time on site, but a phone call or short drive will get them on the issue should it occur.

Now if Boondocking on BLM or Forest Service land out in the sticks somewhere, then you're on your own I guess. IF it's cause to worry don't put yourself in the situation to begin with.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave a slowly leaking portable sewage tote right in the middle of the site. It would be full of pure water, of course.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what the problem is here. If I return to a site that I have paid for and is posted as mine regardless of what I have left behind, the trespassers are leaving in one of two ways... Immediately or in handcuffs. Heaven help them if anything of mine is missing.

I have never had this problem and probably never will but come on now folks, a little common sense and a phone call to the authorities will make this problem disappear. :S

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just leave registration, chairs at the site entrance, picnic table cover etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 X 2 Plus a small length of chain to chain chair to table. Does keep the folks next door from 'borrowong' your chairs.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We leave lawn chairs and table cloth and have never had an invasion.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
All the above are useful. If someone really wants your spot, they will park their lazy body in your selected spot.

We like to believe that almost all campers are honest. We used to travel 100% by motorcycle and if we wanted to tour the area without loosing our spot. We sewed a bright orange cloth about 24" x 24" with a small round grommet in the corners. Placed a sturdy wire tent stake in the grommet. Painted a message on the middle TAKEN by Gene and Lanida. Have not lost a sign yet.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a Class C and traveled over 50,000 miles in it. We never had a problem with anyone taking our site. All we did was put our registration slip on the post, and put a sign on the table that said occupied.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Where are y’all camping for someone to take your site? We don’t use a toad and have had several week long trips in last year where we take MH out everyday. We’ve had not issues. Trips included Ashville NC, Rochester NY, Williamsburg VA, Mt Vernon VA, and Cordele GA (visiting Jimmy Carter hometown).
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I have found the sign on a construction cone will "magically" teleport itself to the dumpster or the nearest ravine, and someone else will be parked in the spot.

The best way to reserve a spot I've seen is using a Yakima Rack & Roll trailer, or some tiny trailer that has a license plate. When there, chain the wheels down, and perhaps chain it to an object. People tend to not mess with vehicles unless they are dedicated thieves, mainly because doing so is a felony here in Texas.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an "occupied" sign on a metal stake. In most well managed public campgrounds, my reservation is on a post. In a commercial RV park, the proprietors do not often re-sell a site you've temporarily left. 10 years of RVing without a tow vehicle, I've not had anyone occupy a site I've temporarily left.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I usually stay at NFS campgrounds. I've got my reservation printed and the tag on the site post. If someone takes my spot, i'll politely ask them to move. If they don't, I contact the ranger station.

I take a picture so I can prove it.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I took an old license plate and painted it white. Then I wrote on it, "Site occupied." I attached a chain to it and I hang it on the electrical box when we are gone. Could use a short shepherd's hook as well.
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/