cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 75 between Salmon ID and Standley ID

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have any first hand info on this road? Elevation and how drivable this road with RV and tow? Thanks
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)
13 REPLIES 13

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
caver wrote:
I tend to shun RV parks but there's a bland RV park at Mountain Village in Stanley. It's right there at #21 & #75 east of the lodge. What's cool is they have their own hot spring with what reminds me of an old one car garage built over it. A door opens on one end to give you a nice view of the Sawtooths. There's a picture of that view at this link. Hot Spring I've stayed here twice as it was the pre-trip meeting spot for a multiday raft trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon.

If you ever go back the best place to stay is Torrey's Burnt Creek Inn and RV park. It's on Hwy 75 between Stanley and Clayton overlooking the Salmon River. Sites are spacious and view is incredible.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone! Looking forward to seeing the area this summer!
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Here's a blog post that may be of interest. Bottom line: the whole area around Stanley and Ketchum (the Sawtooth Natl Recreation Area) -- would be a national park in any other state.

Blog post on the Stanley area

And if there is any way you can boondock, this is the place to do it -- lots of sites, amazing views. That's our trailer in the middle of this shot:

thanks
Click For Full-Size Image.
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Go to YouTube - there are multiple videos of Hwy 75 from Clayton to Stanley, Challis to Stanley, etc. At least that gives you an idea of what the highway looks like.

thank you
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
As profdant139 stated, all we do is boondock up there. Being from the area, we know many out of the way sites, too numerous to list. The only FS CG we stay at because of family and having CG conveniences is Bull Trout.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I tend to shun RV parks but there's a bland RV park at Mountain Village in Stanley. It's right there at #21 & #75 east of the lodge. What's cool is they have their own hot spring with what reminds me of an old one car garage built over it. A door opens on one end to give you a nice view of the Sawtooths. There's a picture of that view at this link. Hot Spring I've stayed here twice as it was the pre-trip meeting spot for a multiday raft trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon.

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We drove from Salmon to Stanley on 75 last summer and stayed at the Valley Creek Lodge in Stanley last summer. As others have said the drive is beautiful and a relatively easy drive, no steep grades. There aren't many RV parks in Stanley. The Valley Creek Lodge has few full hookup sites on their parking lot, not much for views but a very convenient to town and the surrounding area. When we were there they were doing what looked like some major renovations at the Redfish lake campground. When completed that would be a scenic campground.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a blog post that may be of interest. Bottom line: the whole area around Stanley and Ketchum (the Sawtooth Natl Recreation Area) -- would be a national park in any other state.

Blog post on the Stanley area

And if there is any way you can boondock, this is the place to do it -- lots of sites, amazing views. That's our trailer in the middle of this shot:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the Idaho Batholith most of the roads follow the rivers. It is steep country.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Go to YouTube - there are multiple videos of Hwy 75 from Clayton to Stanley, Challis to Stanley, etc. At least that gives you an idea of what the highway looks like.

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
We live in the Boise area and drive up there frequently just for a ride or with our FW in two. The road is a good two lane road, rolling, and with some curves, but no huge elevation gains at all between Salmon and Stanley. It's a beautiful scenic road with a lot of campgrounds and some private RV parks. Between Clayton and Stanley is Torrey's RV Park right on the Salmon River. There are 10 full hookup sites on a grassy field. The owners are great and they have Hafling Horses that are just beautiful. We usually go up there over Memorial Day to camp but there have been more and more people there, whereas we prefer fewer. Any other questions, let me know.

thanks!
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I just came through there last Thursday pulling my 36' car hauler and the road was fine. Still snow alongside the road in the higher elevations. But the pavement was clear and dry. It was interesting in the avalanche areas with cutoff tree trunks sticking out of the snow banks. As Renee says it's a beautiful drive along the river with many beautiful views

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the Boise area and drive up there frequently just for a ride or with our FW in two. The road is a good two lane road, rolling, and with some curves, but no huge elevation gains at all between Salmon and Stanley. It's a beautiful scenic road with a lot of campgrounds and some private RV parks. Between Clayton and Stanley is Torrey's RV Park right on the Salmon River. There are 10 full hookup sites on a grassy field. The owners are great and they have Hafling Horses that are just beautiful. We usually go up there over Memorial Day to camp but there have been more and more people there, whereas we prefer fewer. Any other questions, let me know.