cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping At Savannah, GA

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to go to Savannah, GA for a week in October. We are looking for FHU. We have a 40' motor home. What campground should we stay at? What are the must sees?
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.
15 REPLIES 15

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Once it gets into the 90s, the No See-ums (biting gnats) usually disappear. The mosquitoes will still be around though. No different than any other part of coastal GA. The No See-ums don't like the sun, so stay away from the shade in early evening if they are still out and you should be okay. Keep a little smoke in the camp fire and they'll stay away.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
How would the bug and mosquitos be in june-august? It looks like the entire park is pretty much wooded
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
novi2some wrote:
We plan to go to Savannah, GA for a week in October. We are looking for FHU. We have a 40' motor home. What campground should we stay at? What are the must sees?

If you would be interested to expand your horizons, Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort and Marina is a excellent place about 1 hour from Savanna. You can visit Hilton Head and Savannah during you stay. Look it up on the web. Exceptional Glamping!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at FT McAllister. We had a huge pull through site facing a marsh. A good alternative.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Close by is Tybee Island. You can check out the light house and the beach. Fort Pulaski, Fort McAllister and Old Fort Jackson are close and worth a visit. If you are into trains, don't miss the Train Museum.

A week in Savannah gives plenty of time to explore outside Savannah. Hilton Head is about 30 miles north. If you've never been to Charleston, I highly recommend a trip there. Might even be worth splitting the trip into 2 stays, a few days in Charleston and a few days in Savannah.

About an hour south of Savannah is Jekyll Island. Driftwood Beach on Jekyll has been ranked one of the most beautiful beaches in the US several times. Lots of history and nature on Jekyll Island.

We really like Skidaway Island State Park, but there are only so many full hookup sites. There are hiking and biking trails at Skidaway Island and it is a short drive to Savannah.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we loved red gate farms.

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
Doesn't Creekfire have shuttle service to Savannah?

Yes, 3 trips per day
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Whammon1
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely Creekfire. Very nice though a little pricey.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is one loop at Skidaway with full hook ups. The rest of the the sites are rather odd but doable. Feb 2019
Puma 30RKSS

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't Creekfire have shuttle service to Savannah?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Creekfire just off I95 is quite nice and has very long pull thrus.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I third Skidaway. It's a very nice park.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

sbell2003
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second Skidaway Island. Camped there in November and really enjoyed it.
2019 KZ Durango Gold 356RLT
2018 RAM 3500 Dually

charming
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Skidaway island for the third time last week. Nice state park with an easy drive up to Savannah.

Your first stop should be the Savannah visitors center. Information about the city, reasonable parking and a free shuttle around the historic district. While there you might want to tour the railroad museum. A nice day trip from Savannah is Tybee Island. Tour the lighthouse and the fort.

If you are there the right time the Masons have tours of the Cotton Exchange.

For a taste of what southern cuisine is all about, get in line for lunch at Mrs. Wilkes. Down on the river front are a number of good seafood restaurants.

Go and enjoy.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.