Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing a 32 foot with a Anderson convert a ball adaptor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Towing a 32 foot with a Anderson convert a ball adaptor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/06/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulito0331 wrote:

it was just recently put on its a 2004 crosswinds, PF32RK


Personally, I'd pull it off PDQ and get a "proper" hitch; i.e., one that moves the attachment point up to the king pin. I always recommend a B&W Companion, but the Andersen AUH has a decent rep, as do many other hitches. Avoid the cheapest hitches, that use a sliding bar, to hold the pin in place, and look for ones that have full-wrap jaws to hold the king pin, or the AUH, which is a "reverse" ball hitch that moves the hitch point up to the pin box.

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 05/07/19 01:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with the manufacturer...if they designed it to accommodate the extra stress, no issues.

If not, you could be living on borrowed time before the frame fails.

All depends on what they designed for but the larger the trailer, the less likely it is designed for it.

Note: fatigue failure is the most likely way it will fail...this means repetitive stresses over time will gradually weaken the frame connections...so it may seem fine for a long time and then suddenly fail for no apparent reason.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 05/07/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am an engineer, but software, not mechanical ... but raised as a farm kid and power line construction family, I learned from the school of hard knocks and common sense about things mechanical, what breaks and what doesn't.

In my opinion only, the Andersen Ultimate imposes little to no additional stresses on the 5th wheel frame and kingpin assembly than the standard 5th wheel hitch.

But, the manufacturers set the warranty specs, limits and exclusions, so that's the parameters one needs to play within in the event of a frame problem.

However, along the lines of the recent Direct TV commercial
"So, how does that help me?"
"You know what? It really doesn't, I don't know why I told you that."

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ie9l/directv-little-league


'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

IdaD

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2014

View Profile



Posted: 05/07/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the Andersen Ultimate and it's great, and it probably is a better idea than using a gooseneck adapter. That said my dad has an adapter on his 20+ year old Nash since he bought it new and it's never given him any trouble, and I'd guess that's a far more common story than situations where they have caused problems.


2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 05/07/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gkainz wrote:

I am an engineer, but software, not mechanical ... but raised as a farm kid and power line construction family, I learned from the school of hard knocks and common sense about things mechanical, what breaks and what doesn't.

In my opinion only, the Andersen Ultimate imposes little to no additional stresses on the 5th wheel frame and kingpin assembly than the standard 5th wheel hitch.


Unfortunately physics doesn't agree with your opinion. There is no doubt it increases the forces on the trailer frame. To give you and idea of what it is doing, take a broom stick:
- Hold it in the middle and have someone pull from just below your hand.
- Then have them pull from the bottom.

Which one is easier to hold your hand steady without any twisting?

It all comes down to if the manufacturer accounted for these forces in the design.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/07/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

I use the Andersen Ultimate and it's great, and it probably is a better idea than using a gooseneck adapter. That said my dad has an adapter on his 20+ year old Nash since he bought it new and it's never given him any trouble, and I'd guess that's a far more common story than situations where they have caused problems.


2004 was at the heart of pin box mount failure time frame as trailers were getting larger. Hitchhiker and their Youngs frames were one of those that most likely would handle the extra stress from these goose neck extensions. Most others could not.

Some things the OP could do is watch carefully as the trailer is lowered onto the hitch for movement of the pen box mount, watch area where the overhang joins the main part of the trailer for movement etc.


2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!


Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/07/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

gkainz wrote:

I am an engineer, but software, not mechanical ... but raised as a farm kid and power line construction family, I learned from the school of hard knocks and common sense about things mechanical, what breaks and what doesn't.

In my opinion only, the Andersen Ultimate imposes little to no additional stresses on the 5th wheel frame and kingpin assembly than the standard 5th wheel hitch.


Unfortunately physics doesn't agree with your opinion. There is no doubt it increases the forces on the trailer frame. To give you and idea of what it is doing, take a broom stick:
- Hold it in the middle and have someone pull from just below your hand.
- Then have them pull from the bottom.

Which one is easier to hold your hand steady without any twisting?

It all comes down to if the manufacturer accounted for these forces in the design.


He was not referring to goose neck extensions. The Ulimate pulls on the King pin at the same horizontal plain as a conventional hitch. If the Anderson adapter is installed behind the kingpin then pin box is shortened slightly, and if in front of the kingpin it is extented slightly.

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 05/07/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

gkainz wrote:

I am an engineer, but software, not mechanical ... but raised as a farm kid and power line construction family, I learned from the school of hard knocks and common sense about things mechanical, what breaks and what doesn't.

In my opinion only, the Andersen Ultimate imposes little to no additional stresses on the 5th wheel frame and kingpin assembly than the standard 5th wheel hitch.


Unfortunately physics doesn't agree with your opinion. There is no doubt it increases the forces on the trailer frame. To give you and idea of what it is doing, take a broom stick:
- Hold it in the middle and have someone pull from just below your hand.
- Then have them pull from the bottom.

Which one is easier to hold your hand steady without any twisting?

It all comes down to if the manufacturer accounted for these forces in the design.


Your analogy is not correct regarding the Andersen hitch, which is what I said. Yours is correct when referencing a standard Gooseneck adapter. The Andersen raises the ball to the height of the kingpin, give or take maybe an inch.

I need to clarify, as the original post DID reference an actual gooseneck conversion. I was referencing the Andersen Ultimate, which raises the ball to the level of the kingpin and imparts no additional lever motion to the pin box.

However, I do agree that the Andersen Conversion would increase the lever motion and angular forces to the pinbox, just like any other true gooseneck converter.

* This post was edited 05/07/19 11:53am by gkainz *

pinesman

virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/07/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is simply no comparison in the structure and frame of a gooseneck trailer vs. that of a fifthwheel rv trailer. While I have occasionally seen the converters used and people seem to get along okay, personally I would not pull my trailer with one.

WTP-GC

FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/09/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Despite all the posturing and conjecture regarding gooseneck adapters (like that which the OP has put out there), you rarely ever ever ever hear of someone who has frame damaged and can knowingly attribute it to the gooseneck adapter.

Nonetheless...
OP, your rig is a 15 year unit that honestly probably has a low cash value and no warranty. If you want to use a gooseneck adapter, I say go for it.


Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Towing a 32 foot with a Anderson convert a ball adaptor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS