Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The Top Tent Manufacture Used for Car Camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> The Top Tent Manufacture Used for Car Camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone,

I was at the local campground this past weekend and just observed what the most popular brand is that was used the most by family campers. This reminded me of past observations that I have had.

You would think that the most popular brand would be Coleman, REI, or Eureka... but no. By far the most popular tent brand that was used is Ozark Trail, commonly available at Wal-Mart. Mostly, the large family style tents.

These all seem to be large and comfortable tents. Many of them have lots of screens for ventilation and well seam sealed rain fly’s.

I also like to view YouTube video’s on family tent camping and most of the videos feature Ozark Trail tents.

These families seem to be happy, including several rainy camping experiences that they have. Especially the families that set up the tents in the highest part of the campsite and seal the seams at home.

These observations have lead me to purchase a few relatively inexpensive Ozark Trail tents for my personal use for me and my family. I have had an Ozark Trail tent in the past and had good service from it.

My first tent is a 4 person tent made by Ozark Trail. My sons and I use this tent for quick one night trips where we pack lightly.

My second tent is a new tent that I bought last season but have not used yet. It is a large tunnel tent by Ozark Trail that should be very comfortable for family tent camping. It is similar to the REI Kingdom 8 tent and features a similar design. This tent is tall enough to stand up in from one end to the other and has excellent ventilation.

I am going to set my big Tunnel tent up this evening and seal the seams, especially the bottom seams as the rain fly is well sealed. Hopefully, I will give this tent a trial run this weekend.

While I am saving for a much nicer tent, it is nice to know that there are cheaper options to get us camping again without a great investment. My Two tents cost less than $150.00 together.

My last large family camping tent was also an Ozark Trail and was nearly 25 years old when we tossed it out.

I’ll take some pics of my tents if you all would like to see them.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Car Camper-Transport Vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Tahoe
Eureka Timberline 4
Favorite Brands:
Coleman, REI, Ozark Trail, and misc. Yard Sale finds

Family time is the best time!

~It’s kind of fun to do the impossible~
- Walt Disney-

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think for many campers, the inexpensive Ozark Trails (and other store brands) work fine for the two weeks a year in the peak season they go camping.

It's when folks start camping more than that and/or start camping off season that they invest in the better quality brands.

The two tents that cost you $150 total will last the two week a year camper years. But for the more frequent or off season camper, they may only last one season. For them, the $300 cost for one better tent that can survive multiple rain storms, high winds, etc., becomes a better choice.

And these tenters usually have multiple tents and vary their use among them based on specific needs (solo camping vs family camping, cold weather vs temperate weather vs hot weather, snow vs rain, and so on).

There's nothing wrong with going cheap or going expensive as long as your usage will fit that tent.

And, with those two cheap tents, you can now go camping while spending more time looking for a good deal on a more expensive one that may serve you longer or better in the off season, etc. You can shop sales, craigslist, ebay, etc., and find better prices on discontinued models, used still in the box, etc.

And sealing seams is the single best thing you can do to make a tent successful.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the most obvious visual difference between the lower price tents and the higher dollar tents is the rain fly. On the high dollar tents the rain fly tends to go almost to the ground all the way around the tent. This provides better protection in high wind/rain situations. And also provides a covered alcove outside for some storage. That said, many tent campers looking for a fun weekend will either stay home if it's going to rain all weekend or show late or leave early depending on when it is going to rain. So the "need" for more protection is really not there.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't back pack, look for a well cared for used canvas cabin tent. You'll never need to buy another tent again.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Eureka Timberline 2 person that I've had for 20 years and use all the time. When we truck camp I use the Timberline for the mutt to sleep in, his portable dog house. He's happy and we are happy. Not a lot of room in a truck camper with a 124 pound dog on the floor. I set it up right next to the camper so he can watch what is going on.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 02:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 20yr old perfectly functional 6 man tent stuffed in the 5er underbelly..it's one of the cheap brands.

As mentioned, I think if you use it 3-4 times a year, no need to go high end. If you are tenting 20-30 times per year and out in snow and storms a lot, then you might get benefit from a higher end tent.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used Eureka tents for years. I have had their 3 man Timberline, their domes, and several others. In fact, I have worn them out as I go. With enough use, the pole pockets get worn out and start to rip. Then I just pick up another one and after 5 years or so, I wear it out also. But that was me camping about 50 to 75 nights a year and hauling them all over on a motorcycle.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it comes to tents you get what you pay for. Ozark Trail tents are cheap which is why they are popular. I agree with other posters. Small rain fly, use of non-breathable nylon of minimal thickness, bad seams, not enough ventilation. Live thru one good rain storm and you are going to wish you bought a better tent.

I have two canvas tents, one of them is 40 years old. They are great for longer trips, but they are heavy, they have to be aired out and stored dry or they mildew and rot. For regular camping on short trips or traveling around, nylon is much easier to manage.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, one of my favorite memories as a lad was camping as a Boy Scout Pow Wow in Germany.

Circa 1991 ish.

Daddy bought a used Eureka Dome tent (Tetragon??)for us to use as Scouts. He bought it from an NCO and he sold us two Army Mummy sleeping bags and two foam sleeping pads.

Anyway, back to the Pow Wow...one night I was sleeping in the Eureka with My Dad and a terrible storm came through. There was so much rain...but we were warm and dry in our tent with it’s bath tub floor.

Daddy and I woke up refreshed and enjoyed the sound of the rain on the tent all night.

However, all the other campers say for 1 were totally drenched and miserable. Seems the tents without the bathtub floor let water straight in and soaked everything inside.

Taught me a lesson.

If rain is in the forecast use a good tent with a bathtub floor.

If you don’t have a bathtub floor, don’t camp in any kind of hard rain.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

JuliaBrant

LA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 03:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just like Coleman!

That's why you go away!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> The Top Tent Manufacture Used for Car Camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.