Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: More Dometic RM2652 ???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> More Dometic RM2652 ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
kioticoachman

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

jkwilson wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

RV cooling units CANNOT be refilled. They must be rebuilt and then filled with specialized equipment. IF the Ammonia has not leaked out and the Cooling Unit is bad, that means it is BLOCKED. Rebuilders cut out the Blocked tubing and weld new tubing in place and then charge the cooling unit. Doing the work yourself, rebuilds are a great way to fix your RV refer. Not hard to do, and they come with directions. Doug

They can be refilled. Check out the place in Kentucky that does the training. They sell equipment and provide training to do it.

READ my post. You cannot refill like a AC system. IF the unit has leaked, you must weld new tubing(fixing the leak) and then refill. IF the unit is blocked you must cut out the blockage weld in new tubing and then fill. They do NOT have a leak unless the tubing has failed. Doug

The RV dealer I spoke with mentioned that they could obtain a rebuilt or Aftermarket unit, if that's possible? I presume I would turn over the defective unit to them as part of the deal. Cosequently this is sent out to whomever does this procedure.

If I could search out/find this place in Kentucky or Elsewhere that remanufactures A unit that can satisfactorily replace my defective unit. This is essentially privy information to what the RV dealer is suggesting.

Maybe there is somebody here on the Forum that knows an can share this information and a little insight on how to go about resolving this in a cost efficient manner.

Thanks for the assistance & suggestions that have been submitted. It would probably be best to go with the system already installed rather than a household replacement unit which I haven't the foggiest idea of the trade offs involved. KC

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google your fridge model along with "amish" and you'll get some hits on good, replacement cooling units. I don't know if there are core charges on rebuilt ones. I bought mine from eBay. The seller was someone that liquidated the inventory of failed businesses (in this case an RV repair shop). He knew nothing about the cooling unit but I did so I got it cheap.

I see no reason to involve a dealer who is just going to mark up the cost of the cooling unit. If you can't or don't want to install it yourself you can get the cooling unit shipped to you cheaper than the dealer and find someone to install it. It's a tedious job but not terribly difficult. There are lots of videos out there. I did mine in a few hours and popped it back in. It's worked great ever since (going on 5 years now).

EDIT: I googled it for you [emoticon]

https://rvcoolingunit.com/RM2652-Dometic-Cooling-Unit-606a-626a-P231900.aspx

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another source:

https://jc-refrigeration.com/

JC Refrigeration wrote:

To place an order…

Since there are always questions that need to be addressed before installing a cooling unit to ensure years of longevity, We still prefer to do business by speaking or emailing to and interacting with our customers,which will save time and confusion in the end. We are available by phone or email during normal business hours (Mon – Fri, 8:00a – 4:00p EST) at 260-768-4067 or [email protected]

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the rebuilders want to you return the old CU to them for them to rebuild. Used to be, they had NEW CU's and rebuilt CU's. It just depended on how much you wanted to spend. They also have redesigned CU's that are not built to Dometic and Norcold design. Those would be completely new. Doug

kioticoachman

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbojimmy wrote:

Google your fridge model along with "amish" and you'll get some hits on good, replacement cooling units. I don't know if there are core charges on rebuilt ones. I bought mine from eBay. The seller was someone that liquidated the inventory of failed businesses (in this case an RV repair shop). He knew nothing about the cooling unit but I did so I got it cheap.

I see no reason to involve a dealer who is just going to mark up the cost of the cooling unit. If you can't or don't want to install it yourself you can get the cooling unit shipped to you cheaper than the dealer and find someone to install it. It's a tedious job but not terribly difficult. There are lots of videos out there. I did mine in a few hours and popped it back in. It's worked great ever since (going on 5 years now).

EDIT: I googled it for you [emoticon]

https://rvcoolingunit.com/RM2652-Dometic-Cooling-Unit-606a-626a-P231900.aspx

You helped to make my day. Both by taking the time to find a link and your hands on OJT on actually having the experience on doing the job. So I may be bugging you on some specifics when/if I get there. Thank you, if I may? KC

kioticoachman

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Another source:

https://jc-refrigeration.com/

JC Refrigeration wrote:

To place an order…

Since there are always questions that need to be addressed before installing a cooling unit to ensure years of longevity, We still prefer to do business by speaking or emailing to and interacting with our customers,which will save time and confusion in the end. We are available by phone or email during normal business hours (Mon – Fri, 8:00a – 4:00p EST) at 260-768-4067 or [email protected]

Excellent and I appreciate your link. As a SC I think small and work slow but will be contacting you as I feel comfortable that you can resolve this for us. Thanks for sharing! KC

kioticoachman

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Most of the rebuilders want to you return the old CU to them for them to rebuild. Used to be, they had NEW CU's and rebuilt CU's. It just depended on how much you wanted to spend. They also have redesigned CU's that are not built to Dometic and Norcold design. Those would be completely new. Doug

Thank you and everybody that helped with this matter. I have a better perspective and understanding from the postings that have come in. Its interesting to note that there is a possibility of New, Rebuilt and the possibility, if I got this right, of other designs that may work or that a McGyver might be ablt to adapt? KC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> More Dometic RM2652 ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS