Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: More Dometic RM2652 ???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> More Dometic RM2652 ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
kioticoachman

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From reading the postings that our forum family submitted on a previous RM2652 querry all indications are that the cooling unit is also my problom [emoticon].

Is there a quick cost effective way to go? Called a couple of RV dealers in the area and an after market cooling unit is available. But pricey for this SC at this time.

Are there any McGyvers out there that may have other thoughts or suggestions? Any and all suggestions an assistance would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much! KC - USAF 62-66

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to say, there's no magic bullets when it comes to RV refrigerators. Make sure whoever you take it to is experienced. Your profile doesn't indicate what part of the country you're located so no recommendations.

Way back when I first learned about absorption refrigerators the only thing to try with a malfunctioning unit was to turn it upside down and let it set for 24 hours before setting it rightside up, letting it rest awhile and trying it again. I seldom worked and probably isn't worth the effort.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

kioticoachman

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Sorry to say, there's no magic bullets when it comes to RV refrigerators. Make sure whoever you take it to is experienced. Your profile doesn't indicate what part of the country you're located so no recommendations.

Way back when I first learned about absorption refrigerators the only thing to try with a malfunctioning unit was to turn it upside down and let it set for 24 hours before setting it rightside up, letting it rest awhile and trying it again. I seldom worked and probably isn't worth the effort.

Absorption refrigerators is what they're called, eh? Interesting! Appreciated the reply and suggestion. Thought about attemping to remove the cooling unit but not sure how/what this May involve?

I presume that an aftermarket replacement cooling unit can be bought as this is one of the options the RV dealer suggested plus labor to install it?

Not sure if the cooling unit can be refilled? BTW I'm located near Danville, Pa. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Every reply is important and will help in sorting this out. KC

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV cooling units CANNOT be refilled. They must be rebuilt and then filled with specialized equipment. IF the Ammonia has not leaked out and the Cooling Unit is bad, that means it is BLOCKED. Rebuilders cut out the Blocked tubing and weld new tubing in place and then charge the cooling unit. Doing the work yourself, rebuilds are a great way to fix your RV refer. Not hard to do, and they come with directions. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absorbsion cooling has been around for over 100 years, not just for RV's. Doug

kenbert

Long Island,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

I turned my Dometic upside down twice in the twelve years I owned it, worked both times. this last time the cooling unit developed a pin hole from rust. Putting in a Residential.

95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

RV cooling units CANNOT be refilled. They must be rebuilt and then filled with specialized equipment. IF the Ammonia has not leaked out and the Cooling Unit is bad, that means it is BLOCKED. Rebuilders cut out the Blocked tubing and weld new tubing in place and then charge the cooling unit. Doing the work yourself, rebuilds are a great way to fix your RV refer. Not hard to do, and they come with directions. Doug

They can be refilled. Check out the place in Kentucky that does the training. They sell equipment and provide training to do it.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See/Search YouTube for tutorial videos on replacing the cooling unit on the Dometic RM 2652. There are many very good ones.

Search: "Absorption cooling unit replacement"

Chum lee

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

They can be refilled. Check out the place in Kentucky that does the training. They sell equipment and provide training to do it.

READ my post. You cannot refill like a AC system. IF the unit has leaked, you must weld new tubing(fixing the leak) and then refill. IF the unit is blocked you must cut out the blockage weld in new tubing and then fill. They do NOT have a leak unless the tubing has failed. Doug

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even a trained technician that knows what he's doing must be very cautious when replacing the substances required to make these things work. They must put in the proper amounts of ammonia and water with a little chromate as a wetting agent into the system, then pull a very deep vacuum before pressurizing it with hydrogen. All those ingredients but the water hazardous materials and have to be handled with the utmost care. One spark and you could lose an arm or worse - many have. That's why you won't find just anyone repairing these refrigerators. Leave it to the shops that specialize in this work and be thankful for them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> More Dometic RM2652 ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.