Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Williamsburg/Langley
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mc.cc

Southeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a nephew stationed at Langley in Virginia. Planning a summer trip to see him, but would love ideas of places to stay and things to do around the area. Am interested in a resort style/destination campground if there is one. We have never been to colonial Williamsburg. Thanks

Mark

malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colonial Williamsburg is a full day trip just in itself. Very fascinating and interesting.

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, 2007 Honda VTX 1300R, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Ventera. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently did a trip there. Spent 5 nights at American Heritage RV (http://americanheritagervpark.com/). It was a very nice park. Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown make up a historical triangle and you can get 7 day ticket pack for them. We didn’t have that time, so we did a 3 day ticket to Williamsburg and took day to visit Yorktown. For us, 3 days in Williamsburg was just barely enough time. 1 day in Yorktown was sufficient, doing the battleground tour and museum. We then spent day and half at Mt Vernon which was fantastic. We did an extended preservation tour that was great. Not enough time, but wish we could’ve hit Monticello.

2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with the others on American Heritage for FHU or if W&E is sufficient Newport News Park is about halfway between Langley and Williamsburg. And is an extremely nice city owned campground.
Plan 2 days for Colonial Williamsburg at the least, especially if you want to take any of the tours.
The Mariners museum in Newport News is also worth a half day, Norfolk and Va. Beach are both less than an hour away as well.

Happy motorin

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Williamsburg is a great place. Jamestown. Local battlefields. I grew up in the East. Williamburg is one of the places I miss after 40 years.

frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in Hampton for 3 years when I was working at NASA-Langley. Nice place, but it's very hot & sticky in summer (dull overcast, 90F and 90% humidity). Fall, winter and spring were great.

Glad to be back in the Northwest - now retired in Anacortes, WA.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as campgrounds there are several in the Williamsburg are that might have what you are looking for. Been a while since I last stayed on Newport News City Park. It was getting a bit tired and in need of some updating then. Not sure if anything has occurred. The Army campground on Fort Monroe was turned over to a commercial operator and you might be able to get a reservation.

Lots of stuff to do as others have listed. Lot of history in the area and take a day and head to Richmond if the opportunity presents.

The Colonies RV & Travel Park
Williamsburg RV & Camping Resort
American Heritage RV Park Campground

There are a few more closer to Richmond but your drive to Langley is getting longer.

Another option if your nephew can work it and sponsor you is the Air Force Fam Camp which is about eight miles from the base. You'll need reservations. Have your son check the place first. As I understand it was come up a bit but not long ago the place was pretty run down.

Bethel Recreation Area - Park and FamCamp

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Williamsburg was way overpriced IMHO.

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

charming

Myrtle Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at American Heritage when we visited the Historic Triangle, nice park, not a resort but well located close to Wmsburg and to I-64. It is a great learning experience if you want to learn about early Colonial history in Virginia. When we lived in Virginia we would go frequently for the day to either Williamsburg, Yorktown, or Jamestown. We were amazed at the changes in the area. I used to live there and I had no idea where I was most of the time on our last visit, so many changes.

In the fall we're planning to head to the Norfolk area, not sure yet our exact destination but a detour on our way up to DC.

Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Lancslad

SE VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

American Heritage is good, Newport News City park is good too. I have friends that have stayed at the new RV park at Ft Monroe, on the bay, and they like it.There is also Rockahock on the west side of Wburg but thats the opposite direction from Langley AFB.

2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS